Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up error message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

My wife's new(ish) laptop - HP Compaq 6720 - has been working OK since purchase at the tail end of last year (circa 3 months). It has developed a fault in the last week on start up where a couple of error messages are generated. The initial message states 'Failed to connect to Windows service' and adds 'Windows could not connect to Service Event Notification Service......' When I interrogate the problem history I find the problem is classified as a 'Service Hang Report' and that this also applies to Dhcp (not too sure what that is, to be honest). The history indicates 9 events of each type starting from 26/02/09.
Internet access is normally provided via a 3G dongle - ISP= Vodafone - however the 2nd message on start up indicates 'Vodafone Mobile Connect, program error'
I've carried out a full virus scan using Norton (last update 19/02/09) and no viruses were found. In truth I'm not quite sure what to do next - any advice gratefully received

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

What Operating System are you running?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

Sorry meant to include that in the original posting - its Vista

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

I would first check your Device Manager to make sure that your devices are being recognized. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any devices with red x's or yellow !'s and let us know what they are.

After you post back we'll either work on the identified devices, or will have to pursue other paths to get things fixed.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Thanks - I've checked the device manager as you suggest and there are no red x's or yellow !'s against any of the devices, I've also checked the properties of each one listed and for all those installed the status indicates 'this device is working properly'

All previous fault conditions remain as above

#6 kevin.cheetham

kevin.cheetham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hi Folks, many thanks to all those who have taken the time to view this posting - the fact that I wasn't over-run with replies led me to believe it was a tricky one. So, armed with that thought, I decided to go for the 'function F11 - recovery option' on start up and have now got the laptop up and running with all software re-loaded. Cheers, Kevin

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for letting us know Kevin! This'll help someone who comes searching for help with the same issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users