Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D.Gray

D.Gray

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

A month or two ago I was having a lot of problems with spyware, popups, slow computer, the usual. I was instructed to use SD / Combofix - but It turned out to be a rootkit that made it very difficult to download programs such as SDFix and ComboFix. I finally got to download them and they got rid of the problem.

Again recently my computer was beginning to perform slowly. It would load slowly and it always seemed like my memory was getting full, even when I had very few programs open. I ran many Spyware and Antivirus programs.. Malware Bytes, super anti spyware, avg, etc.. but they found nothing. I guessed the problem was deeper in my computer that they couldn't find. This time I didn't get any professional supervision and just used ComboFix (I know that's a bad move)

It got rid of whatever it was, my computer is acting like normal again, but now I'm having a big problem with my USB ports. My mouse randomnly stops working and you'll hear the USB disconnect and reconnect sound from windows. Sometimes my mouse and keyboard both stop working all together and I have to get up and unplug/replug them, which is becoming a real pain.

So far I've tried to uninstall the USBs from the Device Manager and let windows reinstall them when I reboot, and also updating my mobos VIA drivers. Any help would be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,935 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

Are there any problem entries (colored coded symbols) in Device Manager as described here?
Driver issues are a known source of conflicts that can cause problems such as those you describe.

Did you try Formatting your Flash Drive?If you have a wireless mouse, low batteries can result in weak, mixed or no signals that can affect its functionality so start by replacing them. If that does not help, confirm that the mouse works on another machine. It is possible the mouse could be defective. Another thing to try is to use a different mouse or a PS2 adapter if its a USB mouse. This same issue can occur if using a wireless keyboard.

Wireless Mouse Troubleshooting links:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 D.Gray

D.Gray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup: I tried everything and nothing worked - but I realized that my problem is most likely hardware related. The USB just happened to glitch out when I did the ComboFix repair.

I reformatted my drive and my mouse and keyboard and still blinking on and off, so I narrowed it to the mobo and memory. Memtest86+ says my memory is fine, which leads me to believe that it's a mobo. I even flashed my bios with updated chipset /USB code info and it's still doing it ;(.

Am I on the right thought path here - and if so, should I just get another ASRock 775Dual-Vsta or another mobo? Whatever I do I want to do it tomorrow, not worried about RMA'ing I'll just get another one.

Spec:

C2D 2.4 Ghz conroe
2 Gigs OCZ Platinum PC 3200 Memory
AsRock 775 Dual Vsta
GeForce 8800 GTS
80 gig Seagate Barracuda

Edited by D.Gray, 05 March 2009 - 11:10 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,935 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:34 PM

I am moving your topic to a more appropriate forum where you can get further assistance with your hardware issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Did you upgrade and keep the old case and power supply

If so what's the make, model and rating for your power supply?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 D.Gray

D.Gray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

I've had this computer for about 2 years almost.. I upgraded from the Pentium 4's to the conroe. I used to have an Antec 400w Smart power.. This one is an Antec True Power Trio 650W. I upgraded it to give some extra power to my 8800 GTS.

Edited by D.Gray, 06 March 2009 - 12:14 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

Is it good and clean, sometimes usb problems are related to weak power
Chewy

#8 D.Gray

D.Gray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

As far as I know. I'll go in and get off any dust that I see on it though just to be sure

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

Power from the usb bus is a shared, limited resource

Too many devices?
Chewy

#10 D.Gray

D.Gray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Cleaned off the PS, it's still there.. the only thing that I ever really use is a mouse and keyboard, and occasionally I plug in my External Hard Drive

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

It might be the motherboard, but I would exhaust all other possibilities first
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users