Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is dll in Macromedia folder part of startup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Haddonfield

Haddonfield

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Hello everybody!

This is my first post, and glad to be part of the community. I have been reading these forums for a little bit, but for some reason never posted. Well, now I do.

First and foremost I apologize if this topic has been covered. I searched for it, but couldn't find it based on the keywords I used.

Yesterday my computer was infected by a Virus, which limited my internet access and wouldn't allow me to install and run Antivirus and Malware programs to remove it. I finally found a way around that, got AntiVir and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware installed and able to remove the virus (my original anti-virus program didn't pick up the virus). Since I removed this virus I get a pop-up error message whenever I log into windows XP. It says :

Error loading: C:\Documents and Settings\~\Macromedia\Common\74d780301.dll. The specified module cannot be found.

When I go to this folder the dll does not exist. Hence the message, but when I run msconfig and look under the STARTUP tab I notice the following

Startup name: 74d780301
Command: rundll32.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\~\Macromedia\Common\74d780301.dll"

Does anyone know why this dll, found in the Macromedia\Common folder, is part of my startup? What does the purpose of this dll? Also, why is rundll32.exe in front of the path of the dll?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

It is more than likely an orphaned entry leftover from the infection
Download Autoruns:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Search for the specified .dll and check the box by it. That should prevent it from trying to run at startup
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

With Autoruns, it's best to start on the Logon tab when looking for startup items which are safe to remove/disable.

Louis

#4 Haddonfield

Haddonfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

That worked. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users