Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected Reboots without warning.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 distroyer

distroyer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

I am a slightly advanced guy, but i try keeping myself away when it comes to playing with the hardware.

My box which is

AMD Sempron,
2600+,
1.6Ghz,
1GB RAM
running windows xp pro with service pack 2.

Since around 2 weeks i am experiencing unexpected reboots while working. Its not that it happens everytime, but sometime. I checked the event log but didnt find anything wrong or suspicious. Yesterday night a new thing happened, it just went into standby mode while i was using my computer. Then the power led of the computer started blinking. I pressed the power button but nothing happened. Then i switched off the UPS and then on again...it then booted again.

I recently upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 1GB. But this problem was taking place before also. It had just started abt. 1 week before i installed the new RAM. I dont think its a power supply or voltage fluctuation problem as written in other forums. Because, in my area the voltage is perfect. It never fluctuates. I also scanned my pc with all types of anti-viruses, never found any rootkit or any other virus.

Plz help

Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

Try plugging the computer directly into the wall outlet and see if the problem repeats, you may have a problem with your UPS. If this isn't it I would suspect the PSU, if you have a Voltmeter you can check the rail voltages.

Yellow +12VDC

Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC

White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

Depending on why it is rebooting, you might be able to use an option in the safe mode menu. :flowers:

To get into the safe mode menu, start tapping the F8 key after the HP logo. :thumbsup:

When you get it, highlight the one Disable Automatic Reboot etc, etc. It is usually in the middle of the page but some manufacturers take it out completely.

Then, when it reboots, it should remain on the "Blue Screen" and you can write down all of the info.

Try it out. I hope this helps you.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 03 March 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#4 Soultrain

Soultrain

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

I dont know if this problem is sorted already, but here are my thoughts:

When a PC suddenly reboots, try looking in your BIOS (del at boot), and see if there is any temperature protection enabled. Modes like Performance/Maximum are known to make a system unstable. The blinking LED could indicate the PC is in a lockdown to let temperature cool down.. Either your CPU or RAM. I've had this problem with a other PC also, and it ended up beeing that protection.

Make sure you run a windows tool to monitor temperatures if you disable this stuff. Since you only installed RAM it is unlikely that your cooling paste is failing, but perhaps due to the RAM update the CPU is busier now? You can also check the bios settings and make some changes in the RAM timing, FSB speed etc.. The extra RAM is the same as your old one? Not DDR2 with DDR3 etc weird mixes..

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

i know that grapics card drivers can casue this too
but it happens when you ussally update or downgrade a driver

#6 distroyer

distroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

Hey, Thanks for the quick replies...!!

To get into the safe mode menu, start tapping the F8 key after the HP logo. :thumbsup:

When you get it, highlight the one Disable Automatic Reboot etc, etc. It is usually in the middle of the page but some manufacturers take it out completely.

May be u are talking abt HP manufactured computers. But mine is Assembled. and i dun get any such option when i press F8. But I had tried disabling the auto-reboot option in startup and recovery, when we see the properties of my computer on desktop

The extra RAM is the same as your old one? Not DDR2 with DDR3 etc weird mixes..

Yes, its the same type of RAM, just like u can say duplicate or identical and also same company.

i know that grapics card drivers can casue this too
but it happens when you ussally update or downgrade a driver

No, I havent updated or downgraded any driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users