Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Well my primary HDD died on me yesterday. :thumbsup: I came to my computer and I saw a black screen that said some error about the SATA drive 0. I did a couple of restarts and I got the same message. It wouldn't boot up my OS. I took it out and replaced it with another HDD I had lying around. I reformatted the new drive and installed my OS.

I had most of the stuff on my HDD backed up to an external. But there is a lot of stuff I didn't get to back up. Is there anyway I could somehow recover my data on my HDD that failed? Could I try to hook it up as a second drive to see if my OS will recognize it (doubtful)? My OS is still installed on my old HDD so I'm not sure if I could do that or not. The old HDD is still under warranty so is there any way I can wipe my data if it comes to it before I send it for RMA?

I need some insight. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dakotasnow44

dakotasnow44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

I'm no expert, but I would definitely try to set the drive up as a secondary--it doesn't make any difference that the operating system is still installed because only your "C:" drive will be marked as the active partition (which tells your computer where to boot from). If your system recognizes and is able to read the secondary drive, copy everything you can. Start with the most important stuff in case the drive fails on you. If the drive seems stable, check your computer to see if it has any built in diagnostics for the HD (check in your BIOS). If the drive passes diagnostics, then the problem is probably related to a corrupted operating system and you can just format the drive and still use it.
If your HD has physically/mechanically failed, then there isn't much you can do recover your data unless you are willing to pay the cost of sending it to a data recovery lab.

Good luck!

#3 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try and hook it up as a secondary drive. Do you know if it would have to be set as a slave drive? Before I took the failed HDD out of the PC I swapped cables, etc. to see if that was the problem so I'm guessing it's just a bad drive now. I'm thinking of sending it in for RMA but it was a HDD from a shared computer with several people's personal information on it. Are companies prone to try and "peek" at your data? A recovery lab is out of the question. Their prices are outrages. I'd rather just buy a new drive and accept my losses.

#4 dakotasnow44

dakotasnow44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

Most of the time HD's have the jumpers set for CS (Cable Select). You can leave it at that or switch it to slave, you just don't want it set as master.
I really couldn't answer as to whether companies try to "peek" at your data--I assume it is like any other workplace, there are lots of honest people just doing their job and there are a few turds who might do something like that. But if the drive has failed and you can't format it then rest assured that they certainly won't be spending the time or money to recover the drive.

#5 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the help. I hooked it up as a second drive but my BIOS still won't detect it and I still get an error about it not being able to find the SATA drive before my computer boots to the OS. I didn't feel it spin up or make any noise so I'm guessing it's just cooked. Since my PC won't recognize it anymore I assume they wouldn't take the time to go through all our personal data and whatnot, so I guess I'll just have to get it RMA'd. Thanks for the replies.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

SATA hdds don't get connected as Master and Slave, their headers are completely independent form each other.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 She Haunts Me

She Haunts Me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:11 AM

I have a quick question. Since SATA's don't get connected as Master and Slave drives are the jumpers important? Western Digital is sending me a new HDD, and the HDD that failed is now missing the jumper. It must have fallen out or something because I saw it in the HDD when I put it in. I also saw it when I took it out, so it had to fall out somewhere. Either way it's gone. I'm worried that WD will see that and refuse my warranty. So can I take the jumper off the new drive and put it on the one I'll be sending them? Would the new drive work without the jumper? If not where can I get a jumper? Thanks.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

The jumper on the rear of a SATA is for changing the speed, some older motherboards need will only support a transfer rate of 150Mb/s, the newer motherboards will support the 300Mb/s transfer rate.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users