Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 colin

colin

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

I have a favourite keyboard.

Don't laugh - I know its a bit ridiculous but all keyboards are not the same. On this one [an old PS2 Toshiba that I've had for ages but the computer itself bit the dust years ago] the feel and angle of the keys is just perfect for me- I can literally type twice as fast with it as opposed to any other keyboard and I'd be lost without it.

It is a normal corded keyboard and I would dearly love to convert it into a wireless one if possible. Obviously, I don't want to just buy a new wireless keyboard because I can never find one with the "feel" of my favourite.

Does anyone know of any wireless connection device that allows a manual keyboard to be transformed into wireless one? I guess what I'm thinking of is some type of transmitter device that you plug the keyboard into [fortunately I can retract the cord into the keyboard so it won't look too untidy] which then wirelessly links to a receiver device plugged into the usb port.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Mod Edit - Topic moved to the appropriate forum - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 06 June 2005 - 06:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

You cant convert a wired mouse simply to wireless.

Youd have to open up the usb wire from the keyboard at the top, cut off the main plastic part and connect all the wires to a wireless adapter wich no company sells seperately and with the equal configuration of the keyboard you have.

I suggest going to your local computer store and trying a few keyboards, get the feel for them.....get the one you like..

I mean typing fast isnt a very good advantage.......theres no point.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

Is there a particular reason you want to go wireless?
I run wireless keyboards myself but if I'm honest I hardly ever move them and as for typing on your lap well even if it were comfortable, which I doubt, my chair has armrests so you can forget that!
If the cable is too short you can buy extension cords for PS/2 keyboards and mice.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

I also have a wireless keyboard and mouse. At my desktop, I don't really see any advantage. Yeah, it is a little neater, but you still need the wireless receiver to be in view... and it still has a cord connected to it. I also go through far too many batteries.
The only time that I really enjoy a wireless keyboard/mouse is in a boardroom during a presentation...and I almost never make a presentation..so who needs them.

So no you can't convert it...unless, you are an electronics wizard....

:thumbsup:
JC

#5 colin

colin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:40 AM

Thank you Techsomething, Rimmer and Joshuacat for your replies.

I was hoping that there was an easy way to convert a manual keyboard to wireless and its a bit dissapointing to find that this cannot really be done.

Oh well......... I guess I'll just have to stick with my old favourite.

PS
Sorry I posted in the wrong forum - my mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users