Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i broke one of the SATA ports on my board, i need some options

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have a SATA dvd drive, and a SATA HDD...i do not want to replace either one of the two, my board is a AsRock P4VM890...It had 2 sata connectors, until one got loose and ripped off the board. I bought a Pci Sata Controller card9Via VT-6421). I went to go re-install and OS, but the DVD Drive, wont show up in my boot menu(it shows up in windows, just not in my BIOS). so i switched the HDD to the Card, and DVD drive to the board..hoping the windows installation would be able find a hard drive through the card(vista ultimate install). It did, but it mumbled something about how it cant communicate through the controller and to isntall the controller in my BIOS? i have no idea how to do this..somoene on another post mentioned something about SCSI...i couldnt find that anywhere in my BIOS...if anyone can offer any options..if not offer me a new socket 478 motherboard, that takes ddr-400 ram...and has at least 2 sata ports?..and Pci-E
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

When you installed the controller card...you also installed a second BIOS, that of the controller card. When the system boots, you should see that BIOS flash by and reflect any drives connected to the controller card...before you can enter the system BIOS which correlates to the motherboard.

The BIOS which relates to the motherboard is important because it reflects your boot options.

In your system BIOS...the controller card is recognized as a SCSI boot device.

Soooo...if you want to boot from a hard drive which is attached to your SATA controller card...you can do so by setting the SATA drive up in the SATA BIOS (it should recognize it automatically) and then changing your system BIOS to reflect your SCSI/SATA device as your first boot option.

Since you've already got XP installed, the hardest part is already done.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

Get a IDE to SATA adapter
Install the CD drive as a IDE drive
Install the OS
Install the drivers for your PCI SATA card
Remove the adapter & hook the CD drive to the card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

When you installed the controller card...you also installed a second BIOS, that of the controller card. When the system boots, you should see that BIOS flash by and reflect any drives connected to the controller card...before you can enter the system BIOS which correlates to the motherboard.

The BIOS which relates to the motherboard is important because it reflects your boot options.

In your system BIOS...the controller card is recognized as a SCSI boot device.

Soooo...if you want to boot from a hard drive which is attached to your SATA controller card...you can do so by setting the SATA drive up in the SATA BIOS (it should recognize it automatically) and then changing your system BIOS to reflect your SCSI/SATA device as your first boot option.

Since you've already got XP installed, the hardest part is already done.

Louis

i did not see this, i will check again but what happens if i dont see it? my vid card also has a BIOS that flashes be4 the mainboard BIOS? could that be interfering?
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

Who told you that your video card has a BIOS? I've never heard of such (I use onboard video for much of my computing).

Well...I just learned something...there is a BIOS for video cards, but I doubt if it flashes on the system screen.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1633

This is definitely out of my league, but others here can address the video BIOS bit.

That BIOS flashing by...should be the BIOS for your controller card, since you have one installed. It will appear onscreen before you can actually get into the system BIOS.

Louis

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

Since you are using a add in PCI SATA controller carf it's possible that you need to install the drivers for it before trying to install XP_ .
I looked the card up & it appears it has RAID also.
When a XP disk boots the 1st. thing you should see at the boyyom of the screen is [something like],

If you need to install 3rd. party drivers [ress F6

You might want to press F6 & see if you can install the drivers for the controller card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

I guess that I don't understand why you state that you have to reinstall XP...when it should already have been installed, based on what you stated.

If the O/S was on the SATA drive before, it's still there now.

All you've done is move the drive to a PCI SATA controller...at least, unless there's more that you'd like to tell us.

Louis

Edit: That was my interpretation of your initial post, but...you could have broken the SATA socket before you even installed the O/S. I guess that I'd like to know.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2009 - 02:24 PM.

#8 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

let me fix what i was saying. I have XP installed, I want to install my Vista DVD....And yes, the bios i see for my video card IS not for the device, its for the video card..it says 512mb Foxconn Geforce 8500gt, not Via Vt6421 lol.
Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

LOL...I'll leave it to those who can help, I've done enough damage :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

I need the brand name of the sata pci card, a picture would even do
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

Have your turned off/disabled the onboard raid bios?
Chewy

#12 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

i believe sata is set to NON-RAID, is that what you mean? its the Via Vt-6421 there is no brand name on it.
Posted Image

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Does your bios list other scuzzi in the boot choices?
Chewy

#14 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

scuzzi? ....it dosent list anythign like SCSI like it should...just the stuff connected directly to the board.
Posted Image

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

Some addon cards aren't bootable
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users