Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ganking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

I am relatively new to the MMO experience. I've been playing WoW for about 7 months or so. Some friends got me into it, so I joined their clan on a PVP server.

I've noticed that there is a wide range of opinions on the practice of ganking, attacking much lower level players. Some people go out of their way to do it; others find the practice abhorrent.

Personally - though I think it is frustrating sometimes to be questing and get jumped by a much higher level player - my opinion is that if you don't want to be attacked by players, there are PvE servers you can join. I think a huge level of depth comes from the randomness of human behavior.

But then, if you only want to fight NPCs, why not play Oblivion and save yourself 15 bucks a month?

:thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

I am relatively new to the MMO experience. I've been playing WoW for about 7 months or so. Some friends got me into it, so I joined their clan on a PVP server.

I've noticed that there is a wide range of opinions on the practice of ganking, attacking much lower level players. Some people go out of their way to do it; others find the practice abhorrent.

Personally - though I think it is frustrating sometimes to be questing and get jumped by a much higher level player - my opinion is that if you don't want to be attacked by players, there are PvE servers you can join. I think a huge level of depth comes from the randomness of human behavior.

But then, if you only want to fight NPCs, why not play Oblivion and save yourself 15 bucks a month?

:thumbsup:

That's PvP for you. Shouldn't there be like, a limit field? And are these high levels, like lvl 70-80's?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 Obujuwami

Obujuwami

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

I too play on a PvP server and I am guilt of ganking...but I try only to stick to those guilds that are our mortal enemies. While I can't condone it, i can give you a few tips to avoid it:

1) NEVER DO ANYTHING ALONE! -Single units are prime targets for ganking.

2) Be aware of your surroundings - look for ambush spots that people may try to kill you from.

3) REVENGE! - Revenge is a dish best served cold....which is always fun when your friend is an 80 frost mage. I suggest befriending a few 80s if your not in a guild. If you are in a guild, say they are spitting and usually that gets people to act fast. Also, kill the one who ganked you but DON'T CAMP. :thumbsup: Kill him for as many times as he killed you because that makes you even. If he has been rude after he kills you, kill him a few more times to make sure he remembers.

4) Hide the Tabard - Many people gank for the fact that you are in a spcific guild. I can tell you that on my server (The Venture Co.) Keepers of Stromguarde will always attack and kill anyone from the Blacktooth Grin and vice versa. If you can't deal with a feud like this, quit the guild and find one that is more neutral. This won't mean you will stopped getting ganked but it will lower the chances of it happening.

5) Learn to hide - learning to hide is a great way to avoid conflict (and I did this from lvl 1-30) and it also helps you to learn where people will jump you from. Those hiding spots can also be GREAT ambush spots which will be good to avoid.

6) STAY AWAY FROM CLIFFS - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stay away from cliffs incase a priest comes by! he will walk you off the edge using Mind Control.

7) Get more PvP experience - Do battle grounds and learn how people will attack you. Once you know that, you can counter EVERY class int he game. I play a PvP prot warrior (yes, its ironic) but i can hold my ground against many classes because I know how they will attack me. This comes from reading forums AND actual combat experience. It may suck but this should help you survive *slightly* longer. (Good story time) A good example of this is when I was playing on my alt at level 53 in WPL. A lvl 60 Death Knight tried to gank me and I ended up beating him thanks to my experience in PvP. NOW, a lvl 53 mage v a lvl 60 DK shouldn't be a hard one to call but in this case experience won the day.

I hope this helps and if it doesn't, Xfer your toons to a Normal server. It may be a "carebear" thing to do but if ganking is making you not enjoy the game, then you need to move. Afterall, if your not enjoying it, why pay the cash to play?

#4 locally pwned

locally pwned
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

8) A rogue fight is never over! Unless you leave the area or log, assume a rogue you've killed is still in the vicinity waiting for you to let your guard down or pull one to many mobs.

9) Be a ret paladin. :thumbsup:

A good example of this is when I was playing on my alt at level 53 in WPL. A lvl 60 Death Knight tried to gank me and I ended up beating him thanks to my experience in PvP. NOW, a lvl 53 mage v a lvl 60 DK shouldn't be a hard one to call but in this case experience won the day.

A 53 mage? That's impressive, you must have been in really good gear...you know that around 60 he was still in his "store-bought blues." Were you spec'ed for frost? I'll be he was frost as well (lower dps, extra armor no good against magic). Good thing for you it wasn't a pally!

Edited by locally pwned, 10 March 2009 - 09:41 AM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#5 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

9) Become Atehene

lol naah..

Retribution specced Paladins are OP'd but i liek them, check me, Fobical - Bloodscalp on the EU realms"!

#6 furbyz

furbyz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

Do it all the time, never have a problem doing it either, people did it to me when i was a lower level and i do it to people now. I like to think of it as a learning experience :thumbsup:

#7 Guest_MissyDog_*

Guest_MissyDog_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

I play(ed) on Bonechewer and as far as anyone is concerned PVP is dead there....so ganking is more of a minor inconvenience than a major problem.

It mostly depends on the server you are on (as far as PVP servers go)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users