Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to add more Memory

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

I would like to increase my computers memory from 256 MB to 512 MB. Looking into it, the 512 comes as two separate 256s. My computer has two memory slots, one of which is empty. Can I simply add an additional 256 into the empty slot or do I need an exact matching pair? Would appreciate any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

You could get just one 512 mb stick! And use it with the 256 you have now! It all depends if you have dual channel memory or not! What speed memory are you using? pc 3200, pc 2700, etc..

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

One manufacturer said I had PC3200 but I am not sure what that is. Find it a bit confusing looking at all the brand names, speeds etc. I have an emachine with DDR memory 256 MB on one stick. No idea what speed. As for the PC3200, I have seen this attached to ads for both 256 & 512 MB sticks, single or double. Perhaps it maybe a good idea to get a 512 single stick in case I want to go to an even higher amount of memory later.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:40 PM

How do you find out what your memory speed is ?
Posted Image

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:44 PM

Good question, how do you? Me, well I'm a complete novice when it comes to computers but willing to learn.

#6 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:02 PM

To find out what you have you can go to"Crucial" . They find it for you based on what computer you have. Very easy. :thumbsup:

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp?AID=5032657&PID=1192196

Edited by pondering, 20 August 2004 - 09:05 PM.

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 August 2004 - 09:02 PM

Soory guy's and starlett :thumbsup: been very busy.. Here is how you check you memory speed. donwload this program

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3

click the overclocking tools and it will tell you what speed you are running

see pic

http://img68.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img68&image=overclock.jpg

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:47 AM

Hey Thanks very much Format Junky, Just what the Doctor ordered. Not just what I was looking for but loads more as well. Hope it helps a lot of others as well as myself. Thanks again.

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:33 AM

No problem. Glad to of helpped, wish more people would come back and lets us know if it worked that way we know for the next person that has the same problem.. Appreciate the feedback

#10 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:39 AM

That's ok Format Junky you deserve the praise, and besides it can only be of benefit to others with the same problem to know there's an answer to it.

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

I DL Everest Home Edition. Thanks for the link. Boy it sure does show anything and everything. I now know my memory speed. Among other things. When Im able to get more memory (hopefully soon) Ill post some snapshots and questions. I also need a Bios Upgrade . That is yet another topic Ill save for later. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 21 August 2004 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:55 PM

why wait STARLETT :thumbsup: lol what bios do you have? and what mobo. And 1up 2 down Im brunt format junky is just my descrition lol

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:15 PM

BIOS Type--- Acer >System BIOS Date--7/01/96 >Video BIOS Date 3/18/99 .... Please dont laugh @ my old dinosaur desktop. He is all I've got. A freebie. Lol It shows under Motherboard Name Unknown > Motherboard ID Unknown

Edited by scarlett, 21 August 2004 - 02:16 PM.

Posted Image

#14 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

Sorry Brunt but I do prefer the sound of format Junky. Thought it was some sort of nickname. Anyway it's nice to see others are benefitting from your advice. Scarlet seems over the moon about it, and I can't blame him, it is one of the most useful programs I have on my computer right now. Much better than searching through all those help files. Thanks again.

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:21 PM

what os are you using scarlett?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users