I originally posed in another location and told to come here. Here is what I posted:
Hello, I've spent the last week trying to figure out what is wrong with my husband's computer. I was using it (wireless internet laptop, DELL, Windows Vista Home Premium) and the internet connection kept getting lost. I believe I may have accidentally let in malware or virus. I ran a Windows Defender scan and it deleted 298 infections. Now, all the scans come up clean (Spybot & MalwareBytes; Windows Defender when I can get it to work), but I am having the following issues:
1. Internet occasionally loses connection. I have to reboot the computerfor it to be accessible again
2. I cannot logoff the computer. I have to do a hard manual shutdown everytime
3. The Windows installer hangs everytime I try to install or uninstall a program
4. Windows Defender won't scan. It looks like it is scanning, but nothing happens and then I can't shut it down, s I have to shut the whole computer down
5. The task manager is disabled
6: also when i try to reinstall the Windows Installer or use the Clean Up Utility, it tells me that I do not have enough memory...of which I have plenty
I found a few other problems like this, so I followed the directions: I have tried re-installing Vista (it won't do it, I forget the reason it gives), I tried unregister Windows Installer and re-registering, tried to increase registry to >15, tried to change registry keys for task manager....NOTHING !
While this was all happening, I noticed that the Firewall was down, and Antivirus 360 tried to trick me to click on it twice (I used the red x to close it down). Can someone help me? I really am going crazy!
I cannot install or uninstall ANYTHING - windows installer does not work at all.
Backup and Restore function does not work.
Let's hope I did this right - dds file attached. I really need someone to help me!
Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 March 2009 - 07:40 PM.