Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem wiping Gateway Profile computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gatorade96

Gatorade96

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

I have an issue I need some advise on. I contacted Gateway through chat and they said that I have a motherboard issue. Let me know what you all think they are correct and how I can get this fixed.

This was my mothers old computer and I was going to wipe it and give it to my 5 year old to play on. It started up fine. I put the Gateway recovery disk in to try and reinstall everything. Disk 2 is the first one you use. It goes in, does it's thing and says I need to remove the disk and restart. Then it went to the Windows ME screen and hung up while the three led lights on the keyboard blink on and off. I tried a couple more times same result. I thought it may be the hard drive and wanted to update that anyway so I bought a replacement. Same result. So I went to Gateway support chat and they said if I am having the same issue with the new hard drive then it is probably the motherboard. The Profile PC was an all in one where the monitor and the case are all together so the layout of the components inside is pretty specific in order for the case to close. I think the motherboard ID is PCA: 40-B20200-D000 or PCB: 41-B20200-D000.

So first, does that sound like a motherboard issue and second where would I be able to find a replacement for it? I asked Gateway, for a replacement. They said they don't supply replacements and I needed to call Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct says I need to know the maker and number. I asked Gateway who made it, at that point they could not pull up my original configuration because they sold the post warranty support to MPC. MPC has no live people so I can't call or chat to get information. Just send an email and get ignored. I will see if I can get a pic up tonight if that will help.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Google your product. Use the Model Number and make. If not; go straight to MPC's website or Gateways website, and see if you can find a product link, that gives all the specifications.

Hopefully you'll find it there.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

How old is old?
Is this it?
http://www.referenceguide.com/reviews/gatewayprofile4.htm
That looks like it's going to be proprietary
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dakotasnow44

dakotasnow44

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the truth is that the cost of repairing that particular machine is going to be more than just picking up a used tower on eBay. Like garmanma said, that's a proprietary motherboard (which means made only for that system) and they haven't made those in quite a while. Buying a new one--IF you can locate one--will probably be cost more than it's worth. Then there is the question of whether or not you feel comfortable replacing the motherboard yourself. Another issue is that you said it has Windows ME, which was well known for being buggy and unstable. In other words, you could put in the time and money and still have a computer that doesn't work. To each their own, but if it was me I would cut my losses. Maybe you could sell your unit on eBay and put the proceeds toward a used system with standard components that are cheap to replace.

#5 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I understand it isn't a popular machine and is pretty proprietary but I really wanted to get this one fixed. I like that it doesn't have a tower and is all in one unit. Remember this is going to be for a 5 year old so I am more concerned with there being less cords and cables than anything. I will look on ebay for a new board but was just looking here to see if someone could give me a little better answer to if it is actually the motherboard that is the issue and where could I get a replacement if anyone knew other than ebay.

Thanks

#6 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

How old is old?
Is this it?
http://www.referenceguide.com/reviews/gatewayprofile4.htm
That looks like it's going to be proprietary

Yep it is that one just the model before it. Profile 3. It is probably 7 years old.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

You want to hear an answer that you are not going to receive
eBay is your best bet, try the eBay stores before private sellers

When you turn it on does anything show on the screen? Can you get into the BIOS? Do you hear a single BIOS beep?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

You want to hear an answer that you are not going to receive
eBay is your best bet, try the eBay stores before private sellers

When you turn it on does anything show on the screen? Can you get into the BIOS? Do you hear a single BIOS beep?

I understand that I will probably have to go to ebay. There are a few on there right now. I was just wanted to check here and see if there were any alternatives. You never know what can be out there unless you ask right?

Yes it turns on. I insert the recovery disk and it runs through the initial imaging of Windows. It then says it needs to restart to install Windows and to eject the CD. I do and it does the initial start up screens, then it goes to the Windows ME screen and just sits there. It will stay in the ME screen with the Number Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock buttons flashing all three at once. I think this is some kind of error message similar to the beep codes that Gateway has but I don't know what it actually is. I can try to see if one of the disks I have is a boot disk and can look inside the BIOS but I don't know what I would be looking for. I can rebuild the hardware and am pretty good at a lot of the program stuff but some things I am just not sure about. I will see if I can try to run a boot disk tonight.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Two guesses/suggestions from what I could find
Replace the CMOS battery, leaving it out long enough to restore default settings
Go into the BIOS and disable APCI

This fixed a Linux install on a Gateway w/the flashing lights

Edited by garmanma, 04 March 2009 - 11:17 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Two guesses/suggestions from what I could find
Replace the CMOS battery, leaving it out long enough to restore default settings
Go into the BIOS and disable APCI

This fixed a Linux install on a Gateway w/the flashing lights

So disable those and then run the install disk? I will try that tonight. Nothing to loose at this point.

#11 Gatorade96

Gatorade96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:53 AM

Looks like I got it fixed, up and running.

I re-seated the CPU, re-seated the power supply and memory. Also I removed the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS.

So I went through all that and ran the set up. Things went well. Then when I need to remove the disk and let it reboot it gets hung up again. Lights blinking and everything. Thinking that it now must be the motherboard and I have tried everything and was about to give up I restarted the computer. It went to the Windows install screen. I wasn't overjoyed because this had happened before. It goes to the install Windows application screen and goes through the first couple apps then hangs up with blinking lights again. So I was thinking that during the install it actually went to windows maybe I can get it to boot up in safe mode or something. So I pull the power plug out of the wall and wait a minute. Plug it back in and restart. Yes it goes to safe mode. So I think why would it go to safe mode but not regular windows? So I restart, it goes back to the Windows app install screen but instead of going from the beginning it goes from about half way down. Then all the apps install and Windows starts up normal. I am able to go through all the disks and they are now installed and I am up and running. I play some solitaire and other games, I run defrag. No problems. I restart a couple times. Seems to be up and running. So I am left to conclude it was probably not hardware but something along the lines of it hanging up during the install and once that got worked through it will be OK. I bought a wireless adapter and 512MB memory that will max it out. So I will update it to XP tonight and run all the updates from Microsoft to get it current.

Thanks for the all the help. I know it is an older computer that is out of date but right now it is completely blank and fresh, just like new. Even an old computer is fun and fast when has been completely overhauled and maxed out. It will be perfect for a 5 year old to start computing with.

Thanks again.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Happy to here that you got it running
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users