Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browsers intermittently failing but there is still an internet connection.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vern999

Vern999

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

for details of this problem, please see my original post here at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/206488/ff-ie-intermittently-refuse-to-access-internet/
please read it carefully. thanks.

I didn't give system specs there - windows XP home, SP3, right up to date, 550mhz CPU, 120g and 40g HD's plus 500g external drive, with 100g windows partition on it. Zone alarm Pro firewall, avg8 free antivirus.
I use BOOTIT NG, a dual boot, partition manager, and imaging program.

I posted this problem at Protonic, and have had no answers there. my original post here was closed because I was considering using combofix.

so, left on my own, here is what I have done.

bootit ng does a bootable image on a weekly basis, so I decided I would go back a bit to when I knew the problem was in its first stage -browsers would quit, but closing and restarting them resolved the problem.
the image is usually copied to my 100g partition on my external HD.
so I copied my image for jan 14, to my second HD, and booted from it.

now the browsers work, and everything is fine. after using the system for a while, with no problems, AVG update comes up and says it needs the system rebooted. this doesn't normally happen with AVG, so there must be some significant program change.

immediately upon reboot, the browser problem occurred.

so I replaced the jan 14 system with the jan 7 bootable image, uninstalled avg8, and now the system has been running perfectly since that time, feb 26 or 27. the browser problem has occurred ONCE, and restarting it corrected the problem.

so now, how do I find whatever is on my 'production' system that isn't on my jan 7 system, that prevents the browsers and email from working, although there is still internect connectivity ?

googling, I read that installing KB967715 killed internet access.
so I uninstalled it, no change, so also uninstalled the related KB961118. jproblem still happens - browsers will not work, and re-booting the system has no effect.

I used Windows search to discover everything that had changed in the past week - hidden files and all. examined all that data and could see nothing suspicious.

SO - I made an image of my production system , so I can get back to it no matter what I do to it.

now I ran combofix. when it finished - I followed directions carefully - the problem still existed.

so I copied the combofix log to my E drive on the external hd, booted my 'temporary' jan 7 system, and began to check the items listed in the log, using google. to discover what each file was used for.

I could find nothing suspicious.

so now I still don't know what makes one system OK, and the other no good for internet access. (it does everything else normally)

so if I can get permission to upload the combofix file, and have someone examine it to tell me if there is something there I couldn't see,
then we can confirm whether there IS a virus or not.

if there is no virus, I would plan to copy the jan 7 system to replace the production system, and then copy the feb 26 DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS from that night's backup, which would make the system basically current.

this will still leave the original problem of browsers stalling, which I would hope to get some help for also.

hopefully,

Vern de Guerre

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time the browser stops connecting to the internet.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time the browser stops connecting to the internet right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Vern999

Vern999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi budapest, thanks for the tip - I have 'administrative services' set up as a separate entry from 'control panel', and use 'disk management' and 'services', and 'event viewer' frequently.

the event viewer never showed any errors at or close to the time of these browser failures, or that seemed related to them in any way.
true in 'application', 'system' and 'security'.

I have done a lot of research into this problem, checked out the 'solutions' others have found, and tried several of them, all to no avail.

if it would be helpful to see the full log of what I have done from feb 9 to 25, I can post it.

thanks,

Vern

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

It seems like you're not the only one with this problem:

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?13,169599,169737
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Vern999

Vern999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi Budapest, yes it is certainly true that *lots* of folks have a problem to mine;
but this guy's problem isn't the same as mine.
my system had been running fine with avg free version 8, and the problem would come and go.
my browsers both always worked after rebooting, (until the last stage, when even a reboot wouldn't recover the browser.) and even after they would no longer work at all, nor would my email - OE - there was still a connection to t he internet. pings worked both by name and ip.
all the servers listed in ipconfig/all were pingable.

so that one doesn't seem quite the same, but there are lots more out there! that's why it puzzles me that I haven't found an answer in all my googling.

Vern

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

I would try uninstalling AVG and install a different antivirus.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Vern999

Vern999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

if you read my documentation, you would see that I have not only uninstalled avg, but all other recently installed programs.

how do I get to work with a trained helper, so I can run combofix to see if the system is infected ?

that's why I was sent to this forum in the first place.

thanks,

v

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

On this forum, Combofix can only be used in the HijackThis forum. As such, you should start a new topic there.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

Go straight to Step 6. Be sure to include a link to this thread so they can see what has already been tried. You must post a DSS log otherwise a forum Moderator will probably just move your post back here.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Vern999

Vern999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

this thread can be closed now.

thank-you all for your interest.

vhd