Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Not Detecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Walrus5241

Walrus5241

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

For whatever reason, my wireless card has randomly stopped detecting wireless networks...when I KNOW wireless networks are present (I live in a dorm, and all my roommates can detect them...one who sits literally three feet away from me).

I have tried:
Disabling/enabling the wireless card
Restarting the computer
Making sure Wireless is "On" from within the computer
Making sure the Wireless button on my laptop is "On"
Verified that the device was working properly through Device Manager
Running virus scans from both Norton 360 and Windows Defender (both detected nothing)

The only suspicious thing I'd encountered was something called "Program DJ" which suddenly popped up, and had a "wireless switch" with it. I promptly got rid of the program after deducing that it appeared to be spam of some sort.

What should I do? What more could be wrong? I am using an Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5300. My laptop is a custom built CyberPower PC. I have Windows XP Service Pack Three, with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600, 2.39 GHz.

Edited by garmanma, 02 March 2009 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:52 PM

I have followed the rules stated at http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You-Must-Re...-Log-t2852.html (performing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, etc). I can include a HijackThis log if you'd like, but when I included it last time, I got arbitrarily moved to some security forum (and the nature of my problem is not a security one).

It was moved because there is only one forum where it is permitted to post a HJT log and this isn't it
Seeing how you claim that this isn't malware, don't even mention that you have one
A HJT log isn't used to troubleshoot your problem anyways

Edited by garmanma, 02 March 2009 - 03:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

This topic reopened, Misplaced topic closed so troubleshooting can occur here. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users