Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird keyboard error please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trist077

trist077

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

i cant get a keyboard to work in the ps2 slot at all i have tried a brand new one etc and if i plug the mouse in both stop working unless i restart and then plug it in

i also tried connecting a new usb keyboard in the usb but the keyboard still wont work but everthing else works in the usb slots
please help i am confused now

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

The Ps/2 Keyboard and mouse need to be plugged in when the computer is off (or at least reboot the computer after plugging them in). The USB keyboard and mouse may require a few moments or minutes to be recognized by windows and the appropriate drivers installed automatically by windows. Try them again

Edit: Both should work in the bios screen when you reboot try and press the DEL key to get into your bios screen. If this works give windows a chance to load the drivers when it starts.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 02 March 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 trist077

trist077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:24 AM

i have tried waiting etc but no joy and a usb one wont work getting me into the bios anyway

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

The USB should work at getting you into the bios if your MB supports USB legacy. If you can get into the bios with the PS/2 they should work in windows. Hmm I will have to do some searching around today.

Edit: What system do you have? Make/model etc.. If its a custom build what is the make and model of the motherboard?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 March 2009 - 06:18 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 trist077

trist077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

its a custom built think its a foxcom mb
thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

If neither connect can get you into the BIOS, then you might have a bad 5V solder trace or a damaged power supply
http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/PS2Mouse_pinout.shtml
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users