Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web browsing is slow with IE or Firefox, dsl and email are fine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FrankVincenzo

FrankVincenzo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hello everyone,

I began experiencing a problem Friday evening, February 27 with my internet browser. My default browser is Firefox, and I have a wired dsl connection, operating system is Windows XP, SP3. On Friday, my browser suddenly slowed to a crawl, to sub-dialup speeds. I tried logging on with IE and the same problem occurred. I have contacted my dsl provider and the line speed has no problems. In fact, I can access email through Outlook, and Itunes and my antivirus program's download speed is unaffected. I am able to browse the web through Outlook without any loss of speed.

I have tried removing and reinstalling Firefox without success. I have done a complete system scan with AVG anti-virus, and have also done the same with Iolo anti-virus (after removing AVG). Of course, I have emptied the cache and cookies, without any help.

I suspect a virus. I note also that Windows system restore appears to have been disabled, preventing me from restoring my computer to a functioning state. From previous experience, I know this is a common trick employed by viruses to prevent a quick fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace and blessings,

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

Well, It sounds like to me it might be a Virus. However, I'd try downloading another Browser just to see. Try either Safari or Opera. Install them, and take a run. If they also show sluggishness, then we can be assured it has a possibility of a Virus. We can deal with that after we run a "diagnostic".

Post your performance after you get it done.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 FrankVincenzo

FrankVincenzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I am happy to report that my problem is solved. I downloaded ComboFix from this website, followed the directions on this site and ran this utility, and the problem is resolved. I can now browse at normal broadband speeds with both Firefox and IE.

I hope this helps all of you who have encountered a similar problem.

Frank

Edited by FrankVincenzo, 03 March 2009 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users