Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

exel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RD2005

RD2005

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

I have two situations: I have projects that i assign a NEW workbook and require several sheet to complete a project. At the end I want to print selected sheets for my presentation

There is certain data i want to repeat on other sheets. (E. G.) Client name, Adress, Project # etc. These would be consistant every time I start the appropriate sheet in the project.

Question: How do I set this up TO ENTER THE VARIABLE AND CONSTANT INFO ONCE for each project so that it automatically appears on every sheet for each new project. In addition, the original sheet will be protected except for certain cell that will vary from project to project .

Eg;NAME:(title is constant) ABC LTD. (This data is variable)

2. On the source sheet( original sheet) there will be certain data which may or may not change as a result of inpute datat and/or formulas.I want specific results from the source sheet or to appear on the appropriate sheets in the project.

Question: How do make my two situations do-able.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

Define a source sheet and a single subsidiary sheet in your workbook. Make cells in the subsidiary sheet = cells containing constant info in the source sheet then copy the subsidiary sheet as many times as you need.
In each subsidiary sheet set up the 'variable' information, calculations, etc with links to the source sheet.
When all the sheets are set up save that workbook as a blank and copy the whole workbook to enter data for each project.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 RD2005

RD2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

Thankas for your reply.
I'm not sure if you are asking me "explain " what i mean by define or if that is a function of the exel program tha you want me to perform. ( regretably i do not know how to perfrom that and would appreciate leaning how to do that)

How to i link the sheets to the original source page and the data in it's variable cells to each different sheet?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:29 PM

I meant 'Define' as in "assign a meaning to" - design, decide and create the structure of your workbook. This might be as simple as renaming the first sheet "SOURCE" and the other one "SUB1"

When you open a new workbook you have 3 sheets created by default, you can copy, delete, or rename these sheets or create additional sheets from a menu found by right-clicking on the sheet name.

How to i link the sheets to the original source page and the data in it's variable cells to each different sheet?

I'm not completely clear what you are trying to do when you speak about "variable cells" but if, for example, you set up the workbook with 2 sheets, one defined as SOURCE and one defined as SUB1 then the contents in cells on the SOURCE sheet can be duplicated in cells on the SUB1 sheet by using the = function. Suppose you have data in cell A1 of SOURCE and you want that data in cell C5 of SUB1 then you open SUB1, highlight C5 and press = on the keyboard. This allows you to click on another cell and press enter. C5 will then = the contents of the cell you selected. The selected cell can be on another sheet or even on another workbook (although that is gets difficult to manage).
Continuing with the example - if you clicked on the SOURCE sheet and then on A1 and pressed enter you will return to the SUB1 sheet. Now you will find if you highlight C5 its formula (shown in the Formula toolbar) will be "=SOURCE!A1". From now on whatever you enter on the SOURCE sheet at A1 will also appear in the SUB1 sheet at C5.
If you set up your SUB1 sheet the way you want all your subsidiary sheets to look then you can make a copy of SUB1 at the end of the workbook, which will appear as SUB1(1). Rename it SUB2. Copy again until you have all the subsidiary sheets you need. All the realtionships between SUB1 and SOURCE are copied so C5 of SUB2 will contain the contents of A1 on SOURCE as will C5 of SUB3 etc.

I hope that answers you question. Sometimes these things are difficult to explain in writing, even though they are simple to do in practice. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 08 June 2005 - 07:32 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 RD2005

RD2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

Thanks. You have provided the solution to my needs as I understand it so far.

It's good to know there are people like you, who are willing to take the time and help out.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users