Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iron mum

iron mum

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Excuse me while I rant a bit...
I have now got Vista home premium and so far love it so I thought I would get the 64 bit so I can add more ram later.
Here is the problem, I don't have a credit card.
Ok, I thought so I spoke to a microsoft person on the phone in the uk, I asked if they could take switch, "Sorry we can't" was the reply, well can I pay any other way? "oh yes you can pay by telegrame" (or something like that) "Let me look it up, oh no sorry we don't do that in this country"
So how the **** do I get 64 bit if they only take credit card and I don't have one.
Sorry Microsoft I don't do credit cards but you seem to think everyone does, considering I just paid 135 for Vista in the first place this is a bit much, how about the upgrade being free.
Well I'm stuck with 32 bit and if I have realized this was going to happen I would have bought a 64 bit OEM at half the price.
Thanks Microsoft :huh:
I feel better now..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guitarist

Guitarist

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

what about paypal?

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

You could always use a prepaid credit or debit card. Paypal won't work since it isn't Microsoft. The keys for both the 32-bit and 64-bit version are the same, if you know someone who has the 64-bit media you can install it and use your current license key to activate it legally. You may still need to call Microsoft and get it activated, though. Alternatively, you can wait a few months and install Windows 7 64-bit when it comes out.

As I found here: TechArena

Hi,

Your Product Key is good for use on either version. Your license only allows
for use of one or the other as a single installation on one machine, not
both simultaneously. Which one you use is up to you. Should you opt to
remove the 32 bit and install 64 instead at some point, you will simply have
to reactivate via phone call after using the same key for installation.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users