Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ms excell - automatic links

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 val918

val918

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

help!

somehow, somewhere in my excel spreadsheet, i have an automatic link to another workbook. however, i can't find the cell in my workbook with the link so i can delete it.

maybe its in the background somewhere. anyone know how i can find/delete it!

PLEASE HELP!!

THANKS...
going crazy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

There are many reasons and ways to have the links lost. Equally many to fix. I don't know your workbook, so I can only suggest few things to look at/try before you go crazy :thumbsup:

1. Try to find what it links to. If the workbook(s) came by mail and you placed one somewhere, the linked workbook may still be where your mail goes, for instance c:\temp. it would be best to find it, open both books, break the link if you think you don't need it by doing copy and paste value in the cell(s) using the linked data.

2. Similar scenario might be that you copied 1 of 2 workbooks someplace, and the original is still sitting there. Are these your files?

3. On the Insert menu, review named areas. Some may tell you exactly what workbook is linked. The linked workbook name will be in square brackets [ ].

4. On the Edit menu, review the link itself - it tells the path just before it got lost.

5. If you can't find the linked file, the hard way is to set the worksheet to show formulas only instead of normal values, and read the formulas which might well contain the information. The setting is on the options menu.

Do not delete anything, because the spreadsheet is unlikely to work if you break the link.

#3 val918

val918
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

tos226

THANK YOU!!!!!

The link was in a defined name.

I was able to delete the defined name and BAM! no more link.

I am soooo excited! I have at least 10 workbooks with links that shouldn't be there....(from previous owners of the workbooks).

All is well in my world today! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users