Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get short macro name onto toolbar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:08 PM

I want to put macros onto a toolbar in Word 2002. When I do this I get the whole macro path ie Normal.NewMacro.xxxxx How do I just have xxx in the button.

If I can do this how can I reset the toolbar that has file/edit/view/insert etc to get rid of the macro button with the long name

Thanks

TudorDoc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

I'm not 100% sure I know what you're doing, nor how you got a "long name on a toolbar". Perhaps this will point you in the right direction:
Microsoft is pretty consistent in how toolbars are used. BTW they call'm command bars now :thumbsup:
Main menu, View, whatever toolbar, right click, customize, and there is usually a cosmetic name you can assign to the macro/button control which you linked to the macro. My answer is mostly based on Excel, but Word is similar.
To remove any such item, use the same menu and drag it off the toolbar.

#3 seddes

seddes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

I want to put macros onto a toolbar in Word 2002. When I do this I get the whole macro path ie Normal.NewMacro.xxxxx How do I just have xxx in the button.

If I can do this how can I reset the toolbar that has file/edit/view/insert etc to get rid of the macro button with the long name

Thanks

TudorDoc

This is from Excel's help menu:

Rename a button or menu command

Make sure the toolbar you want to change is visible.

On the View menu, point to Toolbars.
Do one of the following:
Click the toolbar you want to display.
To view more toolbars, click Customize. In the Customize dialog box, click the Toolbars tab, and then select the check box for the toolbar you want to display. Click Close.
On the Tools menu, click Customize.

Rename a toolbar button

Click the button
In the Customize dialog box, click Modify Selection, type the name in the Name box, and then press ENTER.
On the Customize dialog box, click Close.
Note If the toolbar button doesn't display text, you won't see the name change except when you view the ScreenTip by resting the mouse pointer on the button.

When you added the button to the toolbar, it should have then given you the option of renaming the button, and assigning a custom icon to it.
susan

learning just as fast as I can; and not doing too bad for an old broad

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

One more thing to check:
You need WRITE priviledge to edit toolbars and menus. Try logging in as Administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users