Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen is white. Video card problem?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jeipft

jeipft

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone.

The other day I was playing a game, Something-or-Other Online, and my screen froze and crashed to a BSOD saying that there was an error with nv4_disp and that it was stuck in an infinite loop or something. Stop error 0x000000EA

Since then, every time I try to start up the computer, the screen is white from the moment I hit the power-on switch. I don't see the BIOS screen or anything. If I let it run a little, the white screen will change to a black/white checker pattern, and then eventually crash back to the nv4_disp error.

I checked around online and found that this had to do with nVidia video cards and their drivers. Every source said I should be able to start up in Safe Mode and delete/reinstall the drivers. But starting up in Safe Mode isn't working. I've also tried booting from the Windows XP cd to try and run the repair console or reinstall Windows, but I still only get the white screen. Hooking it up to an external monitor does't seem to work either (theres no signal).

So I'm thinking this is a problem with the actual video card hardware, or maybe even the motherboard. My system is:

Mouse Computer (a Japanese brand laptop designed for gaming)
Running on Windows XP 1gig RAM Intel Core2 Duo
SATA hdd, 160gb
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 256mb (Discrete)

ANYway, I'm wondering if replacing the video card would fix this? Or if it's not worth the trouble. I've also thought about using an external video card, like the IOData USB thing, to maybe try and hook it up to an external monitor? Would that override the current problematic video card? Or if trying to fix it is futile, would I still be able to salvage the data on the hdd, by using a USB External Enclosure thing (I saw posted on another thread) for the hdd and accessing it from another computer?

The computer is only a year old, just barely over waranty though, so I'd hate to think that there's no hope.

Any thoughts/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users