Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Continuously Reboots

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

When I boot up my PC, it reaches the part where it shows the Windows XP screen, and then it reboots again by itself! Basically, the PC is stuck in an infinite loop of reboots!!

I am not much of an expert with PCs, but I have the feeling that this has something to do with some hardware component that maybe is failing.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Faulty software or drivers can cause the same issue.

A good place to start to determine if it is hardware or software related is to tey to start the computer in Safe Mode.
Turn it on & as soon as the logo or post screen goes away start tapping the F8 key
[Depending on how fast the unit is you may not see a logo or post screen.
If you see neither start tapping the F8 key when you turn it on]

You should get a screen offering start up options.
Use the arrow key to hilite Last Know Good Configuration.
Press Enter
If the system doesn't start to the desktop go back to the startup options screen & select Safe Mode
Try to start in Safe Mode
If you reach the desktop then you more then lokely have a software or driver problem.

The question is, Was anything installed just before the problem started ?

If none of the above work then you probably have a hardware issue,

My suggestion in that case is turn it off & unplug it.
Open the case & make sure the memory is seated properly.
Visually inspect it looking for anything that doesn't look right.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

If you can boot into Safe Mode stop the automatic restarts, once you stop these you will get a error message instead of restarting.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced.

Under Startup and Recovery click on Settings, under System Failure remove the check in the box for Automatically Restart.

Not all computers use F8 to access Safe Mode, for example some Dells use F2. If you don't know google the make and model of your computer with press F to enter Safe Mode, this usually will come back with the proper number to combine with the F.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

"Not all computers use F8 to access Safe Mode, for example some Dells use F2. If you don't know google the make and model of your computer with press F to enter Safe Mode, this usually will come back with the proper number to combine with the F. "

To my knowledge ALL versions of XP use F8 to get the start up options screen.

I think you are confusing Safe Mode with the BIOS setup.

Most Dell's use F2 to enter the BIOS setup.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

"Not all computers use F8 to access Safe Mode, for example some Dells use F2. If you don't know google the make and model of your computer with press F to enter Safe Mode, this usually will come back with the proper number to combine with the F. "

To my knowledge ALL versions of XP use F8 to get the start up options screen.

I think you are confusing Safe Mode with the BIOS setup.

Most Dell's use F2 to enter the BIOS setup.

Yep... had a senior moment. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:04 AM

Faulty software or drivers can cause the same issue.

A good place to start to determine if it is hardware or software related is to tey to start the computer in Safe Mode.
Turn it on & as soon as the logo or post screen goes away start tapping the F8 key
[Depending on how fast the unit is you may not see a logo or post screen.
If you see neither start tapping the F8 key when you turn it on]

You should get a screen offering start up options.
Use the arrow key to hilite Last Know Good Configuration.
Press Enter
If the system doesn't start to the desktop go back to the startup options screen & select Safe Mode
Try to start in Safe Mode
If you reach the desktop then you more then lokely have a software or driver problem.

The question is, Was anything installed just before the problem started ?

If none of the above work then you probably have a hardware issue,

My suggestion in that case is turn it off & unplug it.
Open the case & make sure the memory is seated properly.
Visually inspect it looking for anything that doesn't look right.

Starting the computer in Safe Mode did not fix the problem, including the option to load the Last Known Good Configuration.

I have, however, been able to capture the following error message:

Stop: C0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image advapi32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header
checksum does not match the corrupted checksum.

How do I re-install this .dll file? I ran a search for "advapi32.dll" and found several sites that offer this file as a download, but with a PC that cannot boot up I don't know how to do it...

Tanks.
--
tb

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

Try downloading the dll file from here, click on "Click here to go to the download of advapi32.dll" to start the download. Do not click on the download for AVS registry cleaner.

#8 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

Try downloading the dll file from here, click on "Click here to go to the download of advapi32.dll" to start the download. Do not click on the download for AVS registry cleaner.

Thanks for the link.
My problem is that the PC does not boot up to the point where I can insert a CD disk in the drive and copy the file to my c:\windows\system32 subdirectory...
--
tb

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

Arg!

I would suggest doing a repair installation, you won't lose any of your data, but updating will take some time.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users