Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hello all,
I assume this is the right place for this question, I've looked around and can't see any mention of this problem.

Basically I have a web site which I access using Network Places with Windows XP 5.1 SERVICE PACK 3.
On this pc, just to muddy the water, I can click on a jpeg in a folder in Network places and it opens in IE (8) so I can see if it's what I want to use and I can copy the address etc.

It cannot be viewed as a thumbnail in Network places when given the chose of, for instance, thumbnails, tiles, icons etc. Not a problem at this time. However. I have a friend with a similar set up and he cannot view jpegs while in Network places. He gets whatever program he has set to view jpegs opening but with the message, 'file cannot be viewed'. :inlove:

I have tried changing his default jpeg viewer to anything and everything he has on the pc with no success.
Network places does not give the user a choice to 'open with....' as in 'regular' folder view so how can I get the jpegs to open while in network places?

I have spent 2 days surfing the net and microsoft sites trying to find out how to set a default IE view of jpegs in Network places and there is no answer that I can find anywhere! If anyone on here can answer this question (which has been bugging us for 2 years now!) you will be able to sell the answer and retire, there's a lot on the net with this same trouble!! :thumbsup:

IE does not appear to be the issue as I have had all versions since IE 6 with the same problem. I also had this problem on an older PC after initially finding I could open jpegs in network places and then for some reason one day it stopped doing it! I am planning to get an answer before this pc does the same!

I am guessing if I were to remove all jpeg programs that can view pictures from the pc in questiion then Network places would revert to IE to open a jpeg, But that's hardley practical and just a guess as I say.

I have posted 2 questions on this site in the past and had great help to resolve unrelated issues and have told this friend I'll get the answer here for sure, :trumpet:

Thanks to all and anyone that can solve this enigma.

Fingers crossed in anticipation!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...I don't understand why a .jpeg or .jpg file...should be expected to open with IE, regardless of file location on a networked system.

I have a home network, I can view any file on my other system. If I open said file, the default program for opening it (assuming that my file settings are proper) will open it.

I don't believe that a graphics file of any sort...should have IE set as the default view/open choice. IE should be the choice for viewing .htm, etc. files...files which relate to Internet connection.

A graphics program of some kind should be the default program to view graphics images.

I guess that I don't understand what is going on with either system.

FWIW: I just connected to an .mpg file on my other system and double-clicked it. I was greeted with the "access denied" message indicating that I needed to designate a program to open said file. I selected WMP and the file opened, as it should have (WMP is my default program for viewing/opening .mpg files).

Louis

#3 Ian

Ian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Still confused!
I don't expect IE to open the files it just does by default on my pc.

One of the reasons that would be convenient is the address of the picture is shown in the address bar of IE and can be copied to other locations. Granted if one built their own site they would have an understanding of the address.

By all means explain how to set a graphics file to open by default, or any program that will work with jpegs for that matter. No one I can find on the net knows how to do that.

In what way did you get a choice to choose WMP to open your mpg file, for that matter if WMP is your default player why didn't it open the file in the first place?
Ian

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Good questions :thumbsup:.

<<In what way did you get a choice to choose WMP to open your mpg file, for that matter if WMP is your default player why didn't it open the file in the first place?>>

As to why...I think that the answer is that, although I download or move graphics files on this system (.avi, .flv, .mpg)...I don't see any of the file extensions as part of Start/right-click My Computer, select Explore...Tools/Folder Options. Since the file extensions are not in my database yet, I will probably get asked to select a program to open these files each time.

Normally, file extensions in the XP database are established when a particular program is installed. When I installed WMM, I probably did not make it the default for all the file extensions it initially wants to be responsible for (I don't want to use it for all those different audio/video extensions). I gave it control over .wmv and .wma extensions only (which are in my database).

Sooo...when I now try to open a .mpg file on this system...I immediately get asked "What program?" to use. I then get an option to search the Internet for said program...or select from the programs installed on this system. I select WMP and put a check mark in the option to "Always use this program to open this type of file" and that's the way it will go...unless some program I install sneaks in and changes the option to be that opener.

A link that explains this better, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

<<By all means explain how to set a graphics file to open by default, or any program that will work with jpegs for that matter.>>

Same link should explain this better than I.

As I said, normally a user installs a program and it sets up file associations that the user is generally unaware of. But they are all there to be viewed by going to the Tools/Folder Options function from My Computer/Explorer.

IMO, all users should take a look at these folder options sometime. There are too many programs that "steal" options away when installed and the options remain as stated (sometimes) even if the program is removed...unless the user manually changes it.

Louis

#5 Ian

Ian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Louise, :thumbsup:
but that's not it. When in Network places and the web folders are open and I click on a jpeg it won't open. There is no option to 'open with...' as I said.
I fully understand your explination but it will not apply to jpegs while in a folder in Network Places.

Perhaps there is a difference with this 'Network Place' program and the way you have yours and I've not explained it clearly.

It's a fully built web site that I go to on a server, that's the only way I know to explain it. ( start - My network places-the name of the web site-password and user log in etc), web site opens and items can then be editied up on the net. But pictures can't be viewed. For instance I can right click a web page and choose 'edit' and my default web site building program (Front page for example) opens the page for editing. The only right click option on a selected jpeg is 'open' and IE opens the picture, don't know why.

It isn't a server issue either as we both have the same server and both have web sites on it yet this new pc (mine) will open jpegs there, his will not.

All you say is true and I can follow that, but it isn't so in Netwrok Places, point is I've never had a choice of program to open jpegs in network places, if I did, what you suggest would work. And it's not just me, here's a question on the web that might explaining it better than me,
http://www.downloadpipe.com/forums/windows...pict610679.html

As you will see it's not been answered as yet.................I'm lost!
Ian :flowers:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:50 PM

Do a google of My Network Places...and tell us what you see :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Ian

Ian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

everything and nothing, lots of guides to setting up a network place and what to do with it, I know that. What is it I'm supposed to be looking for?? :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

The fact that My Network Places...is a standard part of every XP install...and that's probably the conclusion that many will think of when viewing your post title.

Louis

#9 Ian

Ian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

?
Doesn't detract from the problem in hand, a problem a lot of user are likely to get it being a standard install in XP.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users