Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maceybates

maceybates

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

I hope someone can help me! When I try to play any media files I get no sound. It used to work so I know I have a sound card, but I don't know if I have the drivers or software I need anymore. I use Windows XP Home Edition, and the error message I get in Windows Media Player is: 0X80040256, NO SOUND CARD.

Does anyone have any ideas how I would go about rectifying this problem, as I have no idea where to start!

Many Thanks.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

Go to control panel - system - device manager - and look in the device list for an exclamation mark or yellow question mark in the audio devices section. It means Windows does not recognise your sound card because it's driver software is not installed or has become corrupted. First thing to try is 'System Restore' (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore. Pick a restore point from the calendar grid that is at least a couple of days ago. If that's still no good, pick an older restore point if available and try that. Failing that, download a free utility called 'Everest Home Edition' from here: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
install it and run it. it will identify all your system hardware. Find the sound section to get the make and model of the sound-card, then go to the soundcard manufacturers website and look for xp drivers for your particular model if you don't already have the driver on a cd.

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Restoring 2 months back isnt going to fix your problem itll just make you lose any thing youve done within that time.

You can go to device manager to see what kind of sound card it is, just identfy the card type it in google and the manufacturers site should be the first to come up.

Oh and the full address to device manager in case you dont know how to fully access system is Control panel>>>System>>>hardware tab>>click device manager>>

Edited by Techsomething, 06 June 2005 - 07:48 PM.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

Dear macey,

Have you loaded any new programs before the problem?

Losing sound can happen at anytime. Programs get corrupted and what have you...

Windows Media Player is sometimes finicky. Try putting a CD in your drive. Does it play?

If you have a mother board that has on-board sound sometimes it get enabled. Who knows why but check you BIOS to see if it is disabled.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 maceybates

maceybates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for all your help, I have managed to get the drivers re-installed and everything should be working..............but its not!!!!!

I still havent got sound, but ive tried all obvious solutions.

Any ideas!?!

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:28 AM

Dear macey,

Losing sound happens all the time.

What have you tried so we may eliminate the "easy's"?

The more direct information you give us will help.

Thanks,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users