Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Adobe Acrobat Reader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

Being the idiot I am, I forgot to make sure that nothing was installing onto my computer...

Ever since I decided to uninstall Adobe Reader 8 I believe it was (after installing Foxit and because of the security vulnerabilities), Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 Professional decided to install itself back onto here for whatever reason. I can't find it in the Add/Remove programs, so I can't really get it off of here unless there is a way to get it off of here. Any help is appreciated.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

Using Explorer, can you find the files and determine by its size (properties) if it is a full installation or just some dregs left over?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

I know I can open it up and supposedly view stuff in it (maybe), so I'm assuming that it was a full install. Of course, the main problem is that I can't find any way to uninstall it. I already tried to delete the folder as is just to try that out, but it didn't allow me to as something was still running.

It's kind of nerve-racking........I'm wondering if something can get rid of it without messing up my computer. If it'll take a while to figure this out, that'll be fine as well. It's not exactly in any rush, but with the vulnerability out there, it'd kind of be nice to get this thing off of my computer before something could happen (excuse me for my paranoid side).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

Try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Edited by dribdrab, 02 March 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

Already tried that. Didn't seem to do anything useful.....let alone that there's a possibility that it MAY have screwed it up even more if anything....since, if I read correctly, it only removes installation files and such and not the files themselves....which is kind of annoying.....:thumbsup:

Edited by scff249, 03 March 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

The only thing the cleanup utility will screw up is MS Office apps.

Edited by garmanma, 03 March 2009 - 11:35 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

I'm kind of at a loss here as I can't really think of much that'll help with getting rid of Adobe Acrobat Reader..... Actually, I don't even remember if it was preinstalled or what. I'll have to look at everything that my laptop came with to see if there's anything I can find that'll tell me something that can be useful....it could be possible that I have a disc that may have something about Adobe Acrobat Reader (like an installation disc...:thumbsup:).

If all else fails....then I can be an insane moron and risk screwing up my computer by using MBAM's FileAssassin.....but that's being suicidal without expert supervision, let alone that it was mainly built for removing stubborn malware.....but yeah, I'll check with my discs first to see if there's something there before anything else.

Edited by scff249, 03 March 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#8 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi scff249,

Here's what I would try:

Open Adobe Reader, at the top of the screen, click help and then about. This should give you the exact version number. Find that version on the Adobe website and reinstall it over the one already installed. Now boot to Safemode and see if you can now uninstall it there from Add/Remove.

Best of luck :thumbsup:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users