Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help CPU randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heirapparent

Heirapparent

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:37 AM

Hello all I am a noob (better yet slightly above novice) when it comes to computers.

I have just finished building a computer and these are the specs.

P4C800 Delux Asus Motherboard
3.00Ghz P4 Cpu
2.25Gb of Ram
Maxtor 6E040L0 40Gb HDD
OEM CD-Rom F566E

ChiefTech Power Supply
Model# HPC-340-101 ATX12V
AC Input 115-240V
Frequency: 50-60hz
Max load 340W

It turns on and runs fine for the most part, but after a few hours of use it just shuts off.
I thought it was the temp. inside the tower but that was fine and I've disconnected and reconnected all the hardware and everything is connected properly.

Also on a side note I used I-Tunes the other day and loaded my library from an external and it cause the computer to shut down. There's no warning before it shuts down.

So I'm looking for any and all suggestions to fix this problem

thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

It sounds like the CPU is overheating.

You did put a thin coat of thermal compound on the CPU before you put the heatsink/fan on ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Heirapparent

Heirapparent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Yes I did, Also I have three additional fans running so I really don't think its overheating.

Edited by Heirapparent, 02 March 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#4 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

then its prob PS that happend to me...same thing, random shut downs..
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the times that this is happening.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users