Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update flashes and disappears

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 barneyrubble699

barneyrubble699

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

Hi Everyone this is my first post, i have searched the problems with windows updates on the site but cant seem to find anything that matches my problem. I will do my best to explain to you and if anyone has some advise i would be really grateful :huh:

OK then, When i start the computer up it comes up with "Windows can't check for updates" Then when i click on this icon the screen flashes up with no writing on it at all, completely white. And the disappears almost instantaneously.

There are no error codes at all. I have tried to go in to "all programs" and start windows updates but the problem is the same. If i go into control panel and try it there, it will make a click sound but wont even flash up.

As well as this when in control panel it will not let me access "System" to change settings or check performance etc.

I have tried disabling my firewall and AVG and Spyware Terminator Real time protection, but nothing changes it will not allow me to access updates.

I have run checks for any infections on the computer but comes up clean.

I am running Vista Home Premium and have also installed vista service pack 1 without any problems.

The computer seems to be running ok can be a bit slow but i put that down to Acer e management. I'm the only user as its a home laptop and this problem has been happening for as long as i can remember.

Any help would be gratefully received, but please be gentle with me as not the most computer literate person in the world. Many Thanks :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Litljoe

Litljoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

The same thing happens to my home desktop. Unable to do updates also.

#3 barneyrubble699

barneyrubble699
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

The same thing happens to my home desktop. Unable to do updates also.

Hi did you have anyluck solving the problem??

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

There's many different things that can cause this issue.

Litljoe - please create your own new topic so that your issue can get the attention that it deserves (and then it won't detract from this topic also).

As a start, try one of these free online scans to see if anything has bypassed your current protection: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
If the scan comes up clean, post back here and we'll move on with other steps.
If it comes back with an infection, or, if you can't run any of the scans - please post over in the Am I Infected forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 barneyrubble699

barneyrubble699
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

There's many different things that can cause this issue.

Litljoe - please create your own new topic so that your issue can get the attention that it deserves (and then it won't detract from this topic also).

As a start, try one of these free online scans to see if anything has bypassed your current protection: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252
If the scan comes up clean, post back here and we'll move on with other steps.
If it comes back with an infection, or, if you can't run any of the scans - please post over in the Am I Infected forum located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Thanks very much will give it ago this evening. Cheers for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users