Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up a laptop hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LizardKing64

LizardKing64

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

Hi guys,
I posted last week about my girlfriend's computer being busted. Luckily HP says that is should be covered under an extended warranty. They did advise me, though, that they might have to format the hard drive and suggested I back it up.

The laptop is a Pavilion dv6000 with a 160 gb Seagate HDD in it, but the computer won't boot up at all. The power comes on and turns itself off before anything really happens. I'm wondering what my options are for backing up the drive. I've been reading that you can put it in an external device to put it in another computer or that you could hook it directly to another computer.

My computer is an HP desktop (media center pc m1070n). Is it possible to hook it up to my computer? I'm guessing it's not, but I figured I'd ask. If so, then is my only other option the external device?

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

Newegg has a good deal on a external case for a 2.5 hdd which would allow you to connect the hdd to your computer. The original prices was $15.89, it is now 10.89 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817816003

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LizardKing64

LizardKing64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Newegg has a good deal on a external case for a 2.5 hdd which would allow you to connect the hdd to your computer. The original prices was $15.89, it is now 10.89 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817816003

Thanks for the link. Just wondering, though. I had called a guy at Staples before about how much they charged to get the data off ($99 by the way) and he said that if you require a password to log into your Vista, then it might be difficult to get the files off the drive. Is this right?

If I can I will just buy an enclosure and do it myself.
Best Regards,
Jeff

"Bart: I was so bored I cut the pony tail off the guy in front of us.
[holds pony tail to his head]

Bart: Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm 30 years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users