Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hangs on shutdown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rxrich

rxrich

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi...not a major problem but a concern. I have 2 external hard drives (Drives K and M)...my computer will hang and not shut down unless both Ext hard drives are turned on.
I like to leave them off when not in use but cannot shutdown normally when I do this and I have to shut down manually...any suggestions...thx
Richard
(I have Windows XP pro/sp3)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

The external hard drives that I use are USB driven and they shut down once the computer is turned off (normally). I guess that I fully don't understand your problem... Do they shut themselves of when you power down the computer? If they don't is there a power button on the drives that you turn off?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 rxrich

rxrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

If I turn the drives off the computer will hang on shutdown..In order to shutdown normally without hanging both external, drives have to be on...again...it's not a major problem I can always make sure drives are on before I shut down but I was just curious why this happens and what changes I could make so I can leave drives turned off and be able to shut down normally...thanks for your reply
Richard

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

I believe that Windows remembers that your external drives were on at sometime during your session and if you turn them off before you shut down, Windows will hang at the point where it is looking for them to signal that they are finished doing what they were doing so that they will shut down along with the rest of your system. Even though you aren't using them, they are still a part of your system. You may even have some applications or processes stored on them that XP is looking for to shut down normally. I would just leave them on during my session and let them turn off along with Windows.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 rxrich

rxrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thank you for your response...makes sense...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users