Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Earth Troubles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LP_Man

LP_Man

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

I'm a long time lurker of the forum. Finally i decide to join because, well, i have a problem and haven't been able to find an answer anywhere that can help.

I recently reinstalled Windows XP (with the sp3 update), had a new motherboard put in. I now have a 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core processor with 128 kilobyte primary memory cache and 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache. I have 4 Gigs of Ram installed now. I now have an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 graphics card. All current Windows updates are installed. Nvidia drivers are up to date.

With all of my specs out of the way, the only problem i have is that i can't run Google Earth. I installed the latest version. Locks up as soon as it's clicked. Happens with the OpenGL Mode and the DirectX Mode. Makes no difference. My Microsoft Flight Simulator runs like a dream on my computer, so i know my games work fine. I have DirectX9 on here. I even tried to put on a non-beta version from last year. Same thing happens. I can't get squat from the Google Earth forums (which is no surprise).

And i just now found out that another program i used before called CamFrog Video Chat does the same thing. My web cam doesn't lock up on other venues. But as soon as i was going into a vid chat on CamFrog, my system locked up like Google Earth. So, i'm assuming this is something related to one another. Something doesn't seem to be communicating with something else. CamFrog isn't a necessary program for me but i sure miss Google Earth.

It's been suggested that i have a firewall problem. Well, i checked and added GE to the connectivity list. No go.

I was also told that it could be "an AV or firewall blocking it, large map needing time to load, graphic card drivers. All of these apply equally to the webchat program, where large map is replaced with large picture/video file."

I was also told "if using openGL mode and if you are using nvidia cards, set the driver "extension limit" ON"

What could be causing this problem? It's driving me insane trying to troubleshoot this. I thought maybe one of you computer geeks might have an answer. So, i registered and here i am.... troubled to no end.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LP_Man

LP_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Never mind. I disabled my firewall (with Windows firewall still on) and GE opened right up.

Lesson -- PC Tools Firewall does not play good with GE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users