Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hi,
I need to setup my computer to be able to access my daughters remotely. I am on Windows xp home, she is on windows Vista home. Can you tell me is this possible and how do I set it up ?
Thanks
Lecy

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

There are any number of methods, but Remote Assistance is basic to either version of XP.

Take a look at the first 4 or so links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X...mote+Assistance

Louis

#3 Rayal49

Rayal49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

Not meaning to be awkward but the methods described say both computers must be using XP , and I did mention in my topic that I am using XP while the computer I want to connect to remotely is using Vista Home Basic.

Edited by lecy, 02 March 2009 - 01:49 AM.

Rayal

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

According to this article from Microsoft, that can be done....

From Microsoft website at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...fa01033.mspx#EZ

Can I connect to a computer running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 from a computer running a later version of Windows?
Yes, you can, but there are a few compatibility issues to be aware of:

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, you can't pause a Windows Remote Assistance session. So if the person being helped is using a later version of Windows and decides to pause a session while connected to a remote computer running Windows XP, the helper using Windows XP will not be notified that the session is paused.

In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Remote Assistance supported voice capability. Voice capability is not supported in later versions of Windows. So if a person using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 clicks the Start Talk button, nothing will happen.

However, an article that describes how to use remote assistance at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/116361-r...assistance.html

says "If the person you want to help has XP and you use Vista, then Remote Assistance should work.
If you have Vista and the person that is going to remote assist control you has XP, then Remote Assistance will not work."

The Microsoft article does not seem to indicate that is true and I bolded the portion that indicates that to me. Even though the latter article seems to have some misinformation about who can help who, it does give detailed instructions on how to use the feature. I have no idea if the directions are correct because I have never used the feature

Edited by Stang777, 02 March 2009 - 04:46 AM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:42 AM

One of the links on one of pages that Louis gave you a link to also says that the XP computer will not be able to offer assistance to Vista computer, so maybe I misunderstood the info on the Microsoft article. Btw, I did not look at all the aticles that Louis sent a link for, but the ones I did look at also give details on how to use the feature.

Edited by Stang777, 02 March 2009 - 03:49 AM.

#6 morodok

morodok

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:50 AM

If your system is Vista home starter, basic or premium, you cannot use the pc with vista as Remote Connection "Server". You need Business or Ultimate version. There are several webs which explains how to modify some dlls files and make it work but it can be dangerous for your windows.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

If your system is Vista home starter, basic or premium, you cannot use the pc with vista as Remote Connection "Server". You need Business or Ultimate version. There are several webs which explains how to modify some dlls files and make it work but it can be dangerous for your windows.

Hmmmm, the Micorsoft article I posted a link for said, Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

#8 morodok

morodok

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:02 AM

Hmmmm, the Micorsoft article I posted a link for said, Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.

Have a look

Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...connection.aspx

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

Have a look

Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...connection.aspx

Well, the way that article reads to me is that if you have the other versions of Vista, then you have easier access to the Remote Desktop Connection feature. I did not take it to mean that you had to have those versions of Vista in order to use the Remote Assistance feature. If I am wrong then all I can say is, I wish you could get the same answer from Microsoft to the same question twice, lol.

Edited by Stang777, 02 March 2009 - 04:15 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

FWIW: No one has to use any of the native XP tools for remote help...there are many other tools available which users tend to gravitate to, for one reason or another.

I only mentioned the MS tool because it's inherent...but there are 3d-party options to be explored (by using Google) or asking for input from forum members who do this sort of thing (which, I believe, was the intent of the initial post).

I think that some may need to widen their perspective/vision...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users