Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.Mebroot vs Trojan.Mebroot?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Shadowbright

Shadowbright

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello! I just have some simple questions.

So, Symantec picked up a virus: Boot.Mebroot. I googled it and came up with links to Boot.Mebroot and Trojan.Mebroot. Is there a difference? I'm afraid I know little about viruses and less about the MBR. If I have Boot.Mebroot, do also have Trojan.Mebroot? Does Symantec just arbitrarily differentiate the two? Would restarting the computer be bad since mebroot alters the MBR?

Additionally, are the instructions for removal on Symantec's page the best way to get rid of it?

Only Symantec seems to be picking it up. I ran Dr. Web's Cureit and MBAM full scans and neither of them picked up on mebroot (though I did find some some unexpected viruses, haha).

Thanks!

Edit: I am on XP SP3. Thus far, I have not seen any strange behavior or received any error messages. I got the virus off a friend's flash drive (infected). I initially copied over files and received a (presumably infected) email attachment from her; those files and that email I have since deleted.

Edited by Shadowbright, 01 March 2009 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users