Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somthing better than float:left?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

I am coding my page(s) in XHTML 1.0 Strict and verfing it with W3C etc but it rejected my align="right" so i replaced it with the inline style float:left frankly i think float is terrible and leaves my page with the risk of all going out of alignment, if there is a better way then that would be great, you can view my sorce at "http://www.flowwebdesign.co.uk/"

Thanks, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheStalker

TheStalker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

there is border-left: or try margin-left.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

Wolfy - I like the site... For being so young and able to do that, reminds me of myself at your age... Though I would suggest doing some spell checking... What languages do you know?

As TheStalker said, you could try the border and margin, but also you could try float: both;...

#4 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

Erm yes, i admit i must have slipped a bit on the keybord while typing it out :thumbsup: well im in to VB9 and HTML4 mostly but i know a bit of C# and a tiny bit of C++, then theres JS which i like :flowers: nice language. Im rewriting my site at the moment though because it looks like its been hit by a freight train on IE...5 i think...so fixing that and encountering many annoying things with the tables, alignment dilemers =/ and i have decided to but the navigation buttons up the top, stops everything running away from them, im also going to replace the onClick="... with <a... because of the 1 in 100000000 chance of getting someone with it either not installed or turned off (Why?!) oh well must be done.

Thanks for the help you two though that should help :trumpet:
Thanks, Wolfy87.

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

When I was your age, I did html, some xml, some js, batch and shell scripting, a little bit of C, a little bit of Perl, and a little bit of Python... Programming logic was more then easy to learn, after learning the syntax for those I stopped... But now I am getting far in depth with them, more so with C/C++, and assembly though...

How many times have you re-done your site? I remember constantly re-doing mine... I also hosted mine from my home computer when I was your age... Ahh how the times pass lol... So how far do you plan on going with computers?

Edited by burn1337, 19 March 2009 - 01:40 AM.

#6 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

How far am i planning on going with them...
Sounds dirty but all the way...

And im on my third generation of my site =D i learn so much each time I finish and go "Ah...I really shoud have put that in...ARRGH!" and then i do it all over again...but i love it =D

And by all the way i meen...i want to work with them, know how they work mechanically/phisically, know how they work programmatically (if thats even a word...which i doubt), i will pledge to have one on within my lign of sight for atleast 8 hrs a day and i must be touching some form of technology at every point in the day or i will spontainiously combust...

Im thinking about collage uni etc but i dont know, school has not taught me anything programmatically (That word again =D) yet so im not sure, and i could imagen doing somthing like arrays for weaks on end when i learnt them in three differnt languages withing 30 mins =/

Wolfy87.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

hhmm... Yea you do sound a lot like me at your age lol... I started college at 16 after getting my GED (didn't even study for it lmao), I didn't learn much in college either... One professor told me that I shouldn't be wasting my time in a community college, that I should either be getting into some high time college or just start my own business...

Which reminds me, I too am on my third go round with my website, and I know what you mean, every time you finish you find something you should have done and then you just start this huge list of things you should have done, or want to do, and so you start over again lol... Honestly if you are good with computers, I would say just stick with learning it on your own... The only hard part about it, is finding a job... But then again, all you have to do is find that one mom-n-pop shop that will give ya a chance...

#8 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the advice and i could proboly learn more from BC and Google than i would in most collage corces and w3schools are great too.

Im going to try and build up a portfolio and get some experiance under my belt befor i go looking for work. I am doing work experience at a place called ec2i soon and they have a php developer there and i dont know any php YET, so might learn a bit from him, he is self taught too. Who knows, may even get a saturday job as a code monkey lol.

Thanks, Wolfy87.

#9 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

Oh, and is it worth me a)keeping my code to w3 standards because it is at the moment (html 4.1 strict =D) and :thumbsup: should i do the html diploma on w3 schools, i can now do the quiz in under a minit with 100% correct. and you gotta love BB Code, html with square edges, not pointy ones =D

How odd Flow from Flow web design spelt backward spells Wolf, from Wolfy87 ;)

Wolfy87

#10 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

Lol, yea I am a php coder as well, then again I code much more at the same time too... Anyways if you ever need any help or anything.. Aim: clownslick, yahoo: immortalymorbid... Or you can always leave me a message in my forum as well lol...

#11 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:16 AM

Oh and you might want to take a look at this, im going to try and use a simplified version in my site but its a nice bit of code =)

#12 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hhhmm. I wouldn't mind doing drop down menu bars, but personally never really cared for them lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users