Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB travel drive acts like a software program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Letitsnow

Letitsnow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

I do some computer work for other people and have never run into this before. I can't find any help by Googling, so I decided a forum was my best bet. I hope this is the right place to post this problem.

I don't know what brand of memory/travel USB drive my customer is using, but she has used it for a couple of years without any problems of this type.

This computer has a newly re-installed XP Home. My customer wants to save specific word documents on her travel drive after saving her work to her hard drive. Then she wants to verify that the changed document actually is on her travel drive. Sounds pretty basic, but this is an older person without much computer knowledge.

Here's how it acts:

When you open My computer and double click on the travel drive, you would expect to see a list of folders/files, but instead you get the "open with" box and are asked to "Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" and you are presented with a list of software programs installed on the computer.

The same "open with" box appears if you right click on the travel drive and select either open or explore.

The drive is not full - it currently has one short Word document on it and it lights up when writing to it.

I went to Computer/Manage/Disk Management and it shows up as a drive there, not a file.

I ran Disk Check on it and that didn't straighten anything out.

I know that I always tell my customers to do a cold boot, but I didn't think to do that myself! :huh: Maybe that would fix it. That would be the easy way.

If anybody has any suggestions (other than a cold boot), please respond. It isn't an emergency, but it is troublesome to my older customer.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

When in her word program select file open then browse to find the drive and file then I believe it should open the file, I carry files on USB drives and open them that way.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Letitsnow

Letitsnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, so do I. But MY travel drive shows up as a drive and when I double click it I see the files and folders. When I double click on her travel drive, it wants me to choose a program to open the drive. Never see any files or folders..... Thanks for your response. I think I will borrow her drive and see how it reacts in my computer. Should have brought it home with me yesterday!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

Well...flash drives can become infected...I would suggest that you might post at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Aside from that...you need to ask yourself...what can be on a flash drive that can cause such a situation? An O/S? A program? Data files?

I suppose that the drive could be bonkers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users