Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Download *any* software or programs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Howdy folks, Not entirely sure that my problem is with Vista actually but this forum seemed the most fitting.

Quite simply my issue is that for the past 2 months or so I have been unable to successfully download any software from any website. The downloads always acts like it is doing its job (downloading verifying and installing) but after its fnished the download window automatically closes I never tell it to close after download) and the software cannot be found anywhere on my system.

If any more information is needed just ask and Ill be happy to supply it.

Thank you for your time,
Ignatious Naphtali
:huh:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

What browser do you use? And I think you might have a spyware issue, although there might be a mishap in the Vista finetune settings.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

I use I.E. 7, have tried Firefox but it my comp doesnt seem to like it, niether does my trend micro net security. I suppose spyware could be an issue, but have run multiple scans with Trend Micro, AVG and adaware, none turned up anything that couldnt be gotten rid of. I no longer use AVG and cannot seem to get it uninstalled, it stopped being reliable, wasnt finding any infections which I find hard to believe.
Posted Image

#4 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:23 AM

:huh: Anyone? Again, if more info is needed just ask, Ill give it if I know it, if I dont know it, Ill try my best to find out. Still can't get anything to download, even small email attachments :huh:
Posted Image

#5 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

If you are saying you stopped using AVG,I presume you are using another anti virus.If so and you have not uninstalled AVG and two anti virus programmes are on your computer you will have problems.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Are you running more than one antivirus at a time? If so, this is a recipe for disaster!
The A/V's will compete with each other - this can potentially slow down your system drastically, and can actually allow malware to get in.

The general rule is:
- only one A/V at a time
- only one firewall at a time
- multiple antispyware scanners are usually OK - but I advise only having one active at a time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

AVG is not running on my system, it is disabled but will not allow me to uninstall it completely. I managed to remove most of the file but uninstall never finished. Now when I attempt to completely uninstall I recieve this message (copied from the details of the failure message):

"Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
@AvgErrorCode_0x0020"

I only have one firewall running and only one adware scanner installed.

At one point when attempting to complete the uninstall of AVG I reinstalled it in case the uninstaller had gotten, well... uninstalled... yet and still I am unable to uninstall the program. If that is the most likly culprit for my download issues then please walk me through as best you can on how to get AVG to leave my system. :huh:
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Have you tried the AVG Remover at this link: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Just tried it.... Oddly enough it doesnt work.... Might be because it requires me to download it and the biggest problem that I have atm is the fact that I cant download anything! lol Thanks for the tip though, wish it was more helpful. :huh:

Hmmmm think i finally have all traces of AVG 8.0 removed from my system, got rid of it via the registry. Sadly I still can't seem to get anything to download.

Edited by I_Naphtali_I, 17 March 2009 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Download it on another computer and copy it to a CD or flash drive. Then carry it over to this computer and run it from there.

#11 I_Naphtali_I

I_Naphtali_I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

Meh, I give up, Im just gonna take the comp in to have it wiped and reloaded.

Thanks for trying to help me. And no offense but if I had another computer or access to one that I could download on I would have done your last suggestion already.

Contacted AVG to get some help and of course thier support section is useless. And naturally they don't provide phone numbers by which to contact customer support. Can't handle the flood of calls from angry customers such as myself I'd guess.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users