Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/Virus Topic on Windows XP Forom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

There are like 10 new members saying that got infected by the same type of virus/malware
in the Windows XP Forum.

I do not think that the posts needs to be redirected to the Virus/Malware Forum, as there seems to be pretty good cooperation between the users there. But I was wondering if someone from the more experience guys could give it a look, because it is really just New Members among themselves trying bunch of stuff that does not seem to work.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

There are like 10 new members saying that got infected by the same type of virus/malware
in the Windows XP Forum.

I do not think that the posts needs to be redirected to the Virus/Malware Forum, as there seems to be pretty good cooperation between the users there. But I was wondering if someone from the more experience guys could give it a look, because it is really just New Members among themselves trying bunch of stuff that does not seem to work.

:flowers:

It appears that a Moderator was involved in the early stages, then ignored? I could not be bothered reading after that Moderator was ignored.

Wish you all the best.

:thumbsup:

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

So let me tell you what I think:

New Member Netmen (Number of posts = 1):

I got the same issue.

New Member White Rabitt (Numer of posts= 1):

I too have this problem.

New Member NOmand (Number of posts= 3):

Hi all. I am having the same problem as well.

New Member Shadow Land (Number of posts= 1):

hello i m new to the forum and what brings me here is the same problem as yours.

New Member Dr. WAV (Number of posts= 5):

I am also experiencing this problem in Windows XP Pro

New Member tmongielo (Number of posts= 9):

I am having this same issue and have been following this threat all day.

New Member vparunak (Number of posts=1):

I'm having this problem too, on XP professional.

...and so on...

Respond from the Bleeping Computer Community:

It appears that a Moderator was involved in the early stages, then ignored? I could not be bothered reading after that Moderator was ignored.

----

#4 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I'm not suprised, because, well.. People ask for help when they find something suspicious. Maybe this is spreading..

As for the moderator, something has to be done. Is that issue taken care of yet? Are those new members being accounted for?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#5 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

To me this seems like a new type of virus/maleware that the standard tools can not yet detect. The new users are coming here, because this is 8or was) the only forum that shows on google for this problem.

As we speak a new user has came to the topic:

I found this thread via Google today and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. My wife's computer had this malware, whatever it is.

And no, if you read the post there is no help at all from anyone yet but the New 10+ members among themselves. This is to my surprise in particular because BleepingComputer Community has a special training program, whit people trained to advice in cases of infections.

Edited by patbox, 01 March 2009 - 06:55 PM.

#6 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

To me this seems like a new type of virus/maleware that the standard tools can not yet detect. The new users are coming here, because this is 8or was) the only forum that shows on google for this problem.

As we speak a new user has came to the topic:

I found this thread via Google today and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. My wife's computer had this malware, whatever it is.

And no, if you read the post there is no help at all from anyone yet but the New 10+ members among themselves. This is to my surprise in particular because BleepingComputer Community has a special training program, whit people trained to advice in cases of infections.

Most probable reason. Honestly, Why did this Moderator neglect these members? Did they think it was a spamming act?

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Maybe, if it was Posted in "Am I Infected" it would have got quicker Help?

Maybe a read of this may Help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

Just remember that someone mentioned ComboFix and the Answer from the Moderator? We do not discuss ComboFix on BC, unless it is with a Trusted Advisor as per the Rules.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 01 March 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#8 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Most probable reason. Honestly, Why did this Moderator neglect these members? Did they think it was a spamming act?

No, not at all. The moderator just warned them not to use "regedit" because it is risky. I think this is a good warning. I did not feel anything went wrong there.

I think everything is as it should be, just want to promote some more attention to that topic, because it involves 10+ New Users with seriously infected computers. And it seems that each 10 minutes we get a new user with the same problem. The infection is now spreading :-)

Edited by patbox, 01 March 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

No, not at all. The moderator just warned them not to use "regedit" because it is risky. I think this is a good warning. I did not feel anything went wrong there.

I think everything is as it should be, just want to promote some more attention to that topic, because it involves 10+ New Users with seriously infected computers. And it seems that each 10 minutes we get a new user with the same problem. The infection is now spreading :-)

You got it.. I wonder how it's getting to people.. Probably some E-Mail attachment.. And I just helped one person with that..

As for the Moderator; Regedit is a Registry editing program? O.o.

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

You have the Link to take it up in and Instructions in that Link, mate.

#11 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

You got it.. I wonder how it's getting to people..

I do not know, but if it is spreading as fast as it is, you will get it soon as well. Notice, that the main point is that no existing anti-malware, anti-spyware, and anti-virus program can detect this malware/virus.

A for the Moderator; Regedit is a Registry editing program? O.o.

Indeed, go to Start/Run and type Regedit. And do not change anything, it could kill your PC :-)

Edited by patbox, 01 March 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Your first Reply was from a Moderator, he said this,

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Then Later a Trusted Person said this,

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

After that you wonder why the Staff backed away?

I ran away after the first one, Mate.

#13 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yes but those are automated warnings. I seriously do not think that they write this each time. I think each time the word regedit appears, the post gets automatically generated.

MEANWHILE.
I think I solved this issue. I posted to the topic that:

I would also recommend to each of you to read this forum and post your Hijack This logs there to get proper help:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

I think this should do.

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

Your first Reply was from a Moderator, he said this,

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for a several reasons:

Registry cleaners can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Many users (including some Staff Members) have reported problems after using registry cleaning tools - to include those tools released by Microsoft. This can cause your system to become unbootable.

Registry cleaners generally don't do anything significant for your system. This topic discusses it in greater detail than we could address here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61015 Although the topic discusses the XP registry, the concepts there apply to all other versions of Windows.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of your registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting/logging in, then there's no backup to restore in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Then Later a Trusted Person said this,

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

After that you wonder why the Staff backed away?

I ran away after the first one, Mate.

Moderators did a good job then. I wasn't aware of the situation, but they had a liable reason :]
And I'm updating both my AV and my AM. Avast made a earlier update around 6:30 EST.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Yes but those are automated warnings. I seriously do not think that they write this each time. I think each time the word regedit appears, the post gets automatically generated.

They are NOT automated warnings. They do NOT get automatically generated.
You are correct that we don't write it each time. We use a canned response. A simple copy/paste of the warning.
There is no way to program an automatic response when certain words are used. An "automatic" system cannot be programmed to interpret HOW and in WHAT context a word is used.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 March 2009 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users