Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant remove Spyware Protect 2009 malwarebytes won't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cheezfri

cheezfri

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

I am having the exact same problem. I did manage to install Malwarebytes, but can't get it to run. I tried renaming the file; I tried using hijackthis, I tried booting windows into safe mode. None of this will run. I even tried combofix and it won't run either. What can I do manually that would temporarily help? I have windows xp.

cheezfri

quote name='rigel' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:32 PM' post='1158038']
Try to rename the Malwarebytes file to red.com and see if it runs like that. The infection you have is watching for that file to be run.

What version of Windows are you using? Please update Avira and run a scan - post its log.
[/quote]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 cheezfri

cheezfri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

I tried downloading sdfix.exe from the link you gave. I'm using a clean computer to do it. The progress meter shows that it is successfully downloading a 1.45mb file, but when it's finished and I right-click on the icon and view properties, it is 0 bytes. Also, it's a generic icon, not the one shown in the directions.

The properties menu also says the file might be blocked. So I clicked Unblock, and Apply, and OK. But the file remains at 0 bytes.

Is there maybe another location from which I can download the file?
Note: I did find one more place to download it from, but I got the same results. I tried downloading directly on the infected computer as well, but the malware has blocked access to any anti-spyware-type sites.

Thanks
cheezfri

Edited by cheezfri, 01 March 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

Ok... we will move to something different and then retry SDFix.

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)
  • You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start. (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)[/color]
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users