Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build Doesn't Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fiscalparley

fiscalparley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just finished my first attempt at building a computer (or so I thought). It doesn't start though...

I get one short beep in post (successful boot), but then an error code of 75h ("check ide devices")...I am not using any IDE devices, but I double checked my HD and optical connections. The power works, cpu fan and case fans running, etc...but no boot into bios. (Blank screen)

Also, the cpu "Phase" LEDs are on from green through red while it's turned on...the LEDs near the RAM (ddr phase, or high voltage?) are also on, 2 greens and 2 yellows.

The specs for the build are as follows:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port / Extra silver face plate - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

ASUS 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-22B1ST - Retail

Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready - Retail

PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

LIAN LI PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer! :thumbsup:

Edited by fiscalparley, 01 March 2009 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

I would try removing the hard drive...then seeing if I could go into the BIOS.

If so, I would go in and check the current settings for hard drives/SATA/RAID and make sure they were appropriate. You do not want RAID mode enabled.

Have you looked in your board manual re BIOS settings?

Louis

#3 fiscalparley

fiscalparley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

I tried removing the hard drive. Can't get in to BIOS, that is the problem.

Now, it either 1) locks up at 75h with one beep, or else 2) it cycles through and I get 1 short beep, followed a bit later by another short beep, and then it sits at error code FFh.
:thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I would try removing and reseating the RAM modules and the video card...before moving on to other hardware suspects.

You did use thermal paste when seating the CPU fan/heatsink...and it is properly connected?

And you have crosschecked the front panel connectors?

You did use standoffs when mounting the motherboard?

Louis

Edit: All anyone can do when this happens (it happened to me, it happens to others...Google and you'll see) is try to eliminate possible causes, one by one. In my case, I had bent CPU pins (self-inflicted).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2009 - 03:03 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

My general no boot trouble shoot:

Reset CMOS (switch is on back panel of that board). Unplug everything except power, CPU/fan, videocard, memory. Just leave the bare necessities to boot. If no boot remove all memory except for one stick, attempt to boot if no boot try another stick of memory in another slot. If that doesn't work, pull mobo from case and attempt to boot again. I got in the habit long ago of hooking up the power supply, video and memory and CPU to the mobo outside the case just to make sure everything boots properly before I even thought about installing in the case.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 fiscalparley

fiscalparley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

I would try removing and reseating the RAM modules and the video card...before moving on to other hardware suspects.

You did use thermal paste when seating the CPU fan/heatsink...and it is properly connected?

And you have crosschecked the front panel connectors?

You did use standoffs when mounting the motherboard?

Louis

Edit: All anyone can do when this happens (it happened to me, it happens to others...Google and you'll see) is try to eliminate possible causes, one by one. In my case, I had bent CPU pins (self-inflicted).

Louis

I've done all these things...now I am just getting the FF error code every time.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Doing a google for your motherboard/problem it seems to be pretty common with that motherboard !

On one of the other forums I read it was mentioned that the memory has to be in the white slots ?

When I have a problem with a no boot on a new build I stip it down to the bare minomum .
CPU, Video card, & 1 stick of ram
Once I get it to post I start adding the other stuff back on.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 fiscalparley

fiscalparley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the help-- I got the system running! :thumbsup:

Not sure what it was, or if there was any serious problem in particular...I think all of the double-checking connections and reseating hardware probably fixed a loose connection somewhere. Anyway, I got it booted successfully, and it now seems to be very stable, running Windows Server 2008 as a workstation.

Thanks again for the help!

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Sometimes its the little things that get us. Also as I have experienced in Car audio alarm installation sometimes its easier to start over from scratch then to try and figure out what you did wrong.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users