Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Help, adding third computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ombre_Gracieuse

Ombre_Gracieuse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

I decided to put it here, because I don't know where else it would go.

I currently have had a new person bring a computer into the house. My mom and I have the internet hooked up using wireless, and it seems to work well. I don't know how to attach the third computer up to the internet, though. Any suggestions?

(Moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 June 2005 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

Well youl either need a network interface card installed on one of the pci slots, or youll ned a wireless network adapter that connects through usb.

#3 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:37 AM

use an ethernet cable (looks like a phone cord, but wider) and connect the new computer to an available port on the router. if there is nowhere to plug one of those in, purchase a PCI ehternet adapter and install. turn the computer on.

purchase and install an wireless adapter(external USB is easiest), and viola. no muss, no fuss with cables. many modern laptops have wireless capability built in.

it should be about that simple. all your computers need to do is be connected to the router(the wireless dingus) in some way, either with a wire or wirelessly, and that little box will do the rest. it's called peer-to-peer networking and was designed for just this purpose.

is there anything we should know about this new computer? is it 40 years old, or a leftover Sparc tower or an Ibook or something? running Windows 3.1 or BeOS or some craziness?:thumbsup:
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users