Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost errors, rundll errors, now the computer basically doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shaftmonkey

shaftmonkey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

So one day my computer froze and i had to manually push the button to turn it off. Ever since then i've been having this rundll.exe error when i log in. But recently the computer froze again and i had to manually restart it and its been getting more errors. Like now i have these svchost.exe errors that pop up on the log in screen and i have to hit ok to terminate the program or cancel to "debug" the program, and no matter what i push i have like 5 of these errors to go through and then when i log in, the computer is like inaccessible. There is no sound anymore (just the beeps that come on with the error message, but they dont come through the speakers), the blue toolbars and appearance of xp has reverted to the old windows 98 silver look, and the internet doesn't work. I know my connection is fine because im using the wireless connection perfectly. I've done repair installs on windows, and sometimes it works and my computer works fine with the exception of all the errors i have to go through, but recently the repair installs just freeze at the please wait screen before you log in for the first time. So basically i dont know what to do.

I'm hoping i don't have to format the drive because theres like 8000 songs on it and some documents (i backed up the documents, but have yet to backup the songs), but if thats my only option i guess ill try to salvage what i have.

sorry for the rant-like post but its just getting really frustrating and making me pretty worried about all my files.

Edited by shaftmonkey, 01 March 2009 - 10:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi Shaftmonky, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you have done a couple of repair installations then I would suspect the hdd drive. If you can find out who the manufacturer is you should go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn it to a CD and then boot from it, you may need to changed the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, you will want to make the hdd the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shaftmonkey

shaftmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

ill try that. its just like i dont understand why more errors would pop up and also the internet on the computer doesnt work for some reason. i have no idea what to do because i dont understand how an hdd problem could make the internet and sound stop working.

btw this is what the error says: svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00680660" referenced memory at "0x00680660". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

the reason i figured i'd post that is because all the things i see on google for fixing svchost errors seem to have different numbers than the ones i listed.

Edited by shaftmonkey, 01 March 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

FWIW: The reason that the numbers vary...those are memory locations on a given system, which will vary.

Louis

#5 shaftmonkey

shaftmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

oh ok. at this point im looking for a new computer. I've tried everything on this one except for formatting, and i think i can get the stuff off of it before i do that so i probably wont do that righ tnow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users