Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selecting NORMAL STARTUP activates SAFEBOOT in msconfig

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 impossibile

impossibile

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

After installing Service Pack 3 and running Norton Antivirus in Safe mode, if I open the System Config Utility > General tab, I am forced to select "Selective Startup" as the default startup mode: if I select "Normal Startup" the box "Safeboot" is automatically checked in the BOOT.INI tab. This means that the computer then ONLY boots up in safe mode.

So I have "Selective Startup" selected in System Config Utility, and that means that every time my computer starts, although it works normally, I get a message warning me that because I selected "Selective Startup" my computer boots up in diagnostic mode and I should immediately change my selection to "Normal startup" (which is not an option, as explained above). I have two questions:

1. why on earth selecting "Normal Startup" causes "safe boot " to be checked? Arent these two opposite startup modes (normal mode and safe mode)?

2. I can just ignore the message and live with "selective startup" as the default booting mode, but is that in any way less safe than normal startup ?(ie, is my computer actually working at full capacity when booting up in selective startup? Just worried about vulnerability to viruses etc).

Thanks for listening!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Have you tried editing the boot.ini file manually to remove the safeboot option.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users