Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hello,

If I have a computer that requires a 600 watt psu but I use a much more powerful psu (e.g. a 1000 watt psu)
can this damage the computer in any way?

What happens to the extra 400 watts?

(This question is regarding all types of power supply units: ATX, ATX 12V, etc...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:15 AM

No it will not hurt it. There are no extra wattage, there is only a total wattage of which your computer will use as needed.

Edited by dc3, 01 March 2009 - 06:18 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hi Megaman1

If I have a computer that requires a 600 watt psu but I use a much more powerful psu (e.g. a 1000 watt psu)
can this damage the computer in any way?

Not at all.
The problem occurs the other way round - if the computer had a higher power rating than the PSU could deliver then you would have a problem.

What happens to the extra 400 watts?

Nothing - the PSU will only supply the power that the system wants. If the system only requires 600W then that is what the PSU will supply.
Steve

#4 sonya19

sonya19

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

Nothing will happen to your computer for having a power supply with more watts than needed. At least when you decide to add new hardware that will add to the wattage requirement then you won't have to go out and buy a bigger psu. It's always best to give yourself some wiggle room when it comes to psus. As for the other 400 watts: your computer will only pull down the watts needed. The additional doesn't really exist unless needed.

#5 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Thanks guys, Info greatly appreciated:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users