Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled mcafee, cant install sep11

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smax1

smax1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

i bought an Acer AX1700-U3700A today. It has WIN vista home premium 64-Bit edition. started it up, it updated mcafee internet security suite product while i was installing firefox and such. I rebooted, then, uninstalled mcafee. as it finished and asked for a restart to complete, as i did, i noticed it said something about it not being able to remove something. i could not read it before it shutdown. There were no problems on restart. I then attempted to install SEP 11.0.4010.19 (64 bit client). it tells me " Symantec endpoint protection has detected that there are pending system changes that require a reboot. Please reboot the system and rerun the installation." I have done this as well as run MCPR tool, and ran chkdsk all restarting the system each time, all programs run by clicking running as admin. I'm lost. I can normally work thru probs like this, but cant seem to get it this time. What am i missing??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:20 AM

You didn't say anything about using the McAfee uninstallation tool so try that.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

#3 smax1

smax1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Well, actually i did say that, just not that plain. i said i ran the MCPR tool. That is the .exe you get when you go to their site.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Ouch, 64 bit--your best bet may be to contact McAfee support. Since the kinks are still being worked out of 64 bit systems it could help prevent similar problems for others in the future.

This may not make any difference but let me know what sequence of events you did and in what order. What I'm keying on is that it sounds like, from your description, that you didn't try running the MCPR tool until after you had tried to install Norton, is that correct? If the Norton install aborted, then it shouldn't have left anything behind, but I would run Norton' removal tool anyway--and you might even try contacting them and ask if there is anything to remove in your situation, given that your system is 64 bit (also did you check to make sure the Norton program is 64 bit compatible?). Then you might try running the MCPR tool again.

I now will always run a removal tool after uninstalling an antivirus, whether they say only run it if you have problems or not. Don't know if that's wise with a 64-bit system or not tho.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users