Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to remove the OS disk during OSRI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rajkumar_b3

rajkumar_b3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:36 AM

Hi Friends, I just wanted to know if it is good to remove the OS disk during the windows reinstallation.... The present screen where my friend is removing the disk says Set up will complete the installation in approximately 39 min, and he told me that by doing so the osri will complete more fastly. Is It True Please tell me I am confused

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

Hi Friends, I just wanted to know if it is good to remove the OS disk during the windows reinstallation.... The present screen where my friend is removing the disk says Set up will complete the installation in approximately 39 min, and he told me that by doing so the osri will complete more fastly. Is It True Please tell me I am confused

I do not believe that is true because if you remove the disk that the operating system is being installed from, there is nothing there for setup to do the install with

Edited by Stang777, 01 March 2009 - 01:42 AM.

#3 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:42 AM

Well, when your in the black screen where it's installing, no.

When you get into the Blue Screen, it is still not suggested. Reason being, is if the system has to go in to get information, it won't be able to.
Technically, there should be a major difference. Your CD drive wont be eating 500MB of RAM. Best to leave it in. You'll only what, save yourself 1 or 2 minutes if your lucky?
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#4 rajkumar_b3

rajkumar_b3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

Actually is it good to remove if the setup freezes in the blue screen which says an exciting new look. He told me that he would remove the cd when it freezes and then it continued for sometime and then got an error message saying "Fatal error occured and setup couldnot continue the installation", what to do now??

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

FWIW: I often remove the XP install CD, after files have been loaded into memory for installation. No negative impact.

If the disk is needed again, for whatever reason, the XP install will prompt for it.

Once the files are loaded into memory (just prior to install), the XP CD is superfluous, IMO. I would guess that's why the 1st reboot takes place...the CD has done its job and the actual install takes place from the files which are now in memory. Just a guess.

Louis

#6 rajkumar_b3

rajkumar_b3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

Hi hamluis, I think that might not be the case because if you remove the cd the installation will not continue at all. But if you take the case of windows Vista, you can remove the cd also from the computer during the installation after certain point of time.....I dont think that it would be possible to continue without the cd inside the computer

#7 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

FWIW: I often remove the XP install CD, after files have been loaded into memory for installation. No negative impact.

If the disk is needed again, for whatever reason, the XP install will prompt for it.

Once the files are loaded into memory (just prior to install), the XP CD is superfluous, IMO. I would guess that's why the 1st reboot takes place...the CD has done its job and the actual install takes place from the files which are now in memory. Just a guess.

Louis

So in your analysis, technically speaking, there should be no significance. Since all the files from the Installation has been booted and loaded, there shouldn't be a dramatic speed up. It's getting the information from the same place in either scenario.

Oh, and in Vista, some don't even use RD's. Some just use "images"

Edited by Swordie, 01 March 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

I'm in error again...my senility must be starting to take its toll.

My response was strictly thinking of a clean install, not a repair install of XP.

Louis

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'm in error again...my senility must be starting to take its toll.

My response was strictly thinking of a clean install, not a repair install of XP.

Louis

Well, in a repair install of XP you wouldn't go through the whole Welcome screen and the initial set up of the computer anyways. But yeah; his topic is a Repair install..

And yeah Louis.. You've been "scanning" instead of "reading".. Pay attention!

Edited by Swordie, 01 March 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

With the number of responses that hamluis makes some errors are bound to happen, it's a shame that you can't appreciate this and over look this rather than rudely admonishing him by telling him to pay attention. Shall we start watching your posts?

I would like to point out one of our forum rules...

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

Edited by dc3, 01 March 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

We pride ourselves on being a polite and user - friendly community
I hope you agree with that and keep it in mind
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

My bad. I didn't mean to put him down. I honestly do honor and love his expertise and his replies. A mistake on my end. :thumbsup:

Edited by Swordie, 01 March 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

No problem :thumbsup:, thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users