Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lizardface

lizardface

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

Hi, all. Recently, I've gotten into making movies with windows movie maker. I've never had any problems uploading and editing large clips or saving videos. Until now. I have a rather large video project, the largest project I've ever done (26 minutes). I took the first five minutes and put it in its own file, but it won't let me finish it. That stupid thing pops up -- "Your virtual memory is very low." And then it says, "Movie could not be saved." It won't even let me edit one project, which has five minutes worth of spliced together clips.

I've googled solutions for this issue, and have tried right clicking My Computer and tinkering with the virtual memory. Under paging file, it's currently set to "System managed size." I've also tried various custom sizes (from 1000-10000 MBS). Nothing has worked.

Under My Computer properties, it says I have 384 MB of ram. I have 131 GBs of free space on file C (out of 149 GBS), and I have an external harddrive with 444 GBS. It doesn't matter which drive I try to save my movies to -- it won't work.

This all started yesterday, after I bought software called Pinnacle MovieBox Plus (Studio 12), because I wanted to upload videos from my VCR. It didn't work at all, couldn't locate the capturing device no matter what I tried, so I removed the program completely. I also downloaded zillatube a few days ago, and have saved quite a few video clips from youtube in the past few days, including a movie that was 557 MBs long (which I've since moved to my external drive).

I ran a quick scan for viruses today, and it was clean.

I don't know what else to do and I'm quite annoyed, to say the least. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

You need some RAM. 384MB is probably not sufficient to run a editing program, moreover, Windows Movie Maker. You didn't have issues before it. I'd suggest buying some RAM (another gig, and you'll improve performance like, 10 fold.)

What kind of computer is it? Model number?

BTW: Whenever it says "low virtual memory" it means you need more RAM. I fried a Laptop like that.

Edited by Swordie, 01 March 2009 - 01:47 AM.

Who said I couldn't have everything?

#3 lizardface

lizardface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

Thank you so much for your quick response!

I think I will get some more RAM. Will I have to have it professionally installed?

My computer is an E-Machines T5048

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:47 AM

More RAM will definitely help but may not be all of you problem. How large is you hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:58 AM

The warning about virtual memory...probably reflects the fact that your C: partition...which is where the WMM files will be stored...doesn't have sufficient space to store the .avi files generated by your efforts.

This may be compounded by the fact that your virtual memory is also taken from the same partition.

Louis

#6 lizardface

lizardface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

All right, this is probably a dumb question, but how do I find out how big my hdd is?

My C drive has 131 GB of free space, and I sometimes save things to my external drive which has 444 GB. I always thought that was a lot. Should I get more?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

LOL...that should be plenty, wish everyone could have so much storage capabilitity :thumbsup:.

My apologies for asking for info which was included in your initial post...I seem to be scanning, rather than reading :flowers:.

With that much space and with XP managing your virtual memory...I don't think you should get a warning about such.

About all I can suggest that would make any sense...is to run chkdsk /r on your C: partition and then defrag your C: partition.

I've had a few instances of WMM telling me I didn't have enough room to save (because it's always going to save to the C: partition)...but I don't recall any virtual memory warnings of any sort.

If I received another message, I would change my virtual memory settings from XP-managed...to some manual figure, just to see if there's any impact.

Louis

#8 lizardface

lizardface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info! I defragmented my C drive and have manually altered my virtual memory a few times, but WMM is still being a butt. I can save small videos (5MBs or less), but nothing more without that dumb "low virtual memory" bubble popping up. I'm prepared to buy more RAM if it really will solve the problem! (It'll cost me 50 bucks, haha.)

#9 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the order:

Physical RAM
PageFile
then Virtual Memory?

If you have low virtual, it should mean you've blown through everything else. AND 50? What type of RAM does it use? DDR2 PC-6400? 800mhz?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Worth reading, IMO: How can I fix too little virtual memory in Windows from the Ask Dave Taylor! Tech Support Blog - http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix...in_windows.html

Howstuffworks How Virtual Memory Works - http://www.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

Louis

#11 lizardface

lizardface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:56 PM

My ram is: 512 MB DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) ... whatever that means, haha.

Thanks for those articles! I'm slowly piecing together how all this stuff works and need all the help I can get.

#12 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

My ram is: 512 MB DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) ... whatever that means, haha.

Thanks for those articles! I'm slowly piecing together how all this stuff works and need all the help I can get.

Oh, then 50 dollars isn't a suprise. Make sure you don't buy too big, because sometimes your motherboard won't support it. I'd check on Newegg or with your OEM (just go to their website) and then look up what's the max. Most likely it's 1GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users