Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSW.Bisby.A

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:47 PM

MY Anti-Virus found the above (trojan?) along with a version .D and removed it. I had not heard of it so I checked it on Google and it doesn.t show up. Hs anyone heard of such a Trojan??? Thanks
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:03 PM

Nope..what is the antivirus software you use?

#3 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:47 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!

I have Norton installed but in this case I used VCLEANER by AVG (Grisoft) just to see how it works. I went back to the site where it can be downloaded and it shows BISBY A-D as a Trojan that it will catch (on the DL page). Very interesting. As an aside, I have worked in THE BIZ--WORKED SOME for BUY.com. Working there I learned a lot about scammers etc. It has made me extremely suspicious!! You don't think a software vendor would purposely insert a little file in its free Anti-virus and then announce to you that it caught the virus and cleaned it out (and saved your dumb ass). The fact that they caught it and cleaned it without telling me about first made me wonder. I would liked to have looked at it myself. But, Grisoft s reputable and AVG seems to have been recommended by "US". If you may have noticed--it seems about half of all the TV adds are scare adds--IE. Get this or else!!!. I wonder if Grissoft uses such a technique to have its users of its free Software to upgrade to the the one that costs $. Also, I noted that they used DOS type data presentation to display what they did searching for the Viruses. This would be uninteruptable unless one knew (remembered in my case) DOS commands. Just ranting and raving, but I know you speed-read, otherwise you wouldn't be able to read all those HJT files--UNT-
(Until next time)--edbrophy
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:57 PM

To answer your questions , there are a ton of fake spyware removal program that does exactly what you mention. AVG though is reputable so I doubt they would.

#5 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

The actual name of this Trojan is BISPY with a "P" rather than a "B". This is the reason I was unable to find info on it. It is always good to spell things correctly! My apologies to anyone searching for this Trojan.

#6 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

A couple friends and I have had Avg free for over a year and have never been asked to get the paid one.

Edited by pondering, 19 August 2004 - 10:45 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

If a major AV company boasted it cleaned a fake virus, how long do you think it would take its competitors to find out and spread the word? Competition goes a long way in keeping companies honest.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

Exactly JGWEED. I just had the name of the critter mispelled and Paranoia took over. I was looking at a site called virustotal.com and was amazed at the number of new viruses daily. http://www.virustotal.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users