Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware downloads being blocked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LMS13

LMS13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hi-I usa a Dell laptop, with Windows XP and have Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, e-mail attachment protection, etc.) Last week what I believe was a Trojan Horse captured most of the e-mail addresses in my Yahoo mail contacts and sent out an e-mail under the subject line "Hey, How Are You" with just a link that was something like www.surprise-usa.info (it was close, can't find the piece of paper I wrote the exact link on). I ran the Zone Alarms deep scan and it found a Trojan Horse and keystroke logger. They were quarantined and deleted.

However, something is still not right. I've been working with Zone Alarm to scan the computer using a few different programs and it's coming up clean. But they also sent me the malware removal link from BleepingComputer and when I try to open it, I get a message saying "Object is blocked". I have tried downloading other free malware removal tools, anti-spyware and anti-adware tools and I get the same message every time. This happens in both Firefox and IE. My firewall is also going crazy saying it's blocking a bunch of intrusions.

Right now I'm running my computer in safe mode with networking and I still can't download any anti-malware programs. How can I run these programs so I can get whatever this is off my computer?!?

Edited by LMS13, 28 February 2009 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

The easiest way will be to use another computer and download MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE from www.malwarebytes.org and SUPERANTISPYWARE from www.superantispyware.com. Put the installers on a USB flash drive and hook that into your computer.

Once you have the flash drive on your computer, access it and rename the two installers. Just put a ".scr" on the end of the two executable files. Turn mbam-setup into "mbam-setup.scr" and superantispyware into "superantispyware.scr"

Then, double click on each and they should install. What you have is a piece of malware that is preventing executable files from being used. Once installed, you will need to navigate to each of the programs install folders under C:/Program Files and change the executable files used to start the programs also. Again, just rename them and add ".scr" to the end of each.

This should allow you to run a scan with both MBAM and SAS. Once you get them installed, I would recommend booting into safe mode (which you seem to know how to do) and run SuperAntiSpyware first. It is a stronger scanner while in safe mode.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

By the way, each of these programs will generate a log when they finish scanning. You may want to copy and paste them here so we can see what is found. I'm good at cleaning spyware and viruses from computers, but I'm not good at getting information out of those logs. I just scan and rescan until it is clean or until something shows that the programs I'm using are not doing a thorough enough job. Then, I go and google what I can't clean to find out how to get rid of it.
Posting the logs here will get you immediate help from others that know more.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#4 LMS13

LMS13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

Thank you!!! I'm going to try this tomorrow and I'll definitely be back if it doesn't work.
Thanks again for the extremely helpful advice!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users