Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd just died - Need some help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

I have 3 hdd's in one of my pc's and all was great and running. I left the room and came back only to find rebooting itself. I tried to go into safe mode, safe mode command prompt but nothing all it does is keep rebooting. I then tried to put it in another system as a slave drive. When I first booted up the hdd as a slave drive it wanted to do a concidancy check and found items it needed to repair. I let it do this. The hdd has two partitions and when it was hooked up as a slave and I tried to access the first partition it gave an error and then on the second partition it asked if I wanted to format it.

Any ideas on how I can fix this and recover data off the second partition?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

With the drive still connected to the second system...run the chkdsk x /r command on the partitions/drive (with x being the drive letter assigned by the good system to the questionable drive partitions).

If the partitions on drive are denoted as Y and Z, run the command for the first partition: chkdsk Y: /r

For the second partition (after the check for the first partition has completed: chkdsk Z: /r

Note the space between the k and the partition letter and the /.

A redundancy check does not encompass all the steps that a chkdsk /r command will contain.

Louis

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Ok, thanks. If this does not work then I guess only other option would be a recover console on the OS with the original cd of XP. Would this be good? I really want to save the second partition. But if I can both. :thumbsup:

Thanks

#4 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

Also when it is in the other PC as a slave hdd and the pc boots up it wants to do a scan check even before it gets into Windods XP. should I skip this or do it? Thanks

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

What kind of scan?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

A consistency scan. I did do a chkdsk /f and it scanned the hdd up to 39% and the started to get "File record xxxx statement is unreadable." Then it said Index verification completed. Then it said chkdsk is recovering lost files. Then the final statement was An unspecified error occured. I then went into XP and see the hdd in my computer but when I try to open it I get this drive is not formatted do you want to and when I go to the view all hdd's on the system in admin tools The hdd shows up with two partitions and both show healthy but both also show up as 100% free, which is false. And also it does not show NTFS or FAT32 for the format. It should be NTFS.

Ideas?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

If you have the installation CD run SFC.EXE.

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to use the System File Checker (SFC) to examine and repair corrupt operating system files.

In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

References

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Microsoft Windows XP - Repair overview

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hello, sorry for the long delay on the response and update.

I did try to recover data from the hdd using disk doctor. I was able to get most of the information off of the hdd. So now I will format and use as a backup.

What is the best software to check the hdd to make sure it is good to go and no bad sectors,etc?

Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

Well...IMO, every hard drive may have bad sectors. But...when formatting the drive, the system maps such and does not initially allow placement of data on those mapped segments.

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1583&page=3

The best (IMO) utility to use when desiring to check any hard drive...is probably that provided by the hard drive manufacturer. Chkdsk /r is a good Windows utility that checks the drive, but it can run into situations that it cannot handle and the manufacturer's diagnostic can at least determine status of the drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users