Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No bootable disk

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cisguy

cisguy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

I hope i get some help. I get the no bootable device error message that a lot of people get. I've done some searching, and tried some things.
1.) Bought new hard drive to replace, works perfect. - but the "bad" hdd has info on it, not too important, but want to try and get the info off it
2.) I go into bios, and under boot order, internal hdd is there. Even when I take out the physical hdd, it still shows up.
3.) I put in windows xp to go into xp recovery console or re-install windows, xp can not locate a hdd. (yes i did make the cdrom the first boot up device)

This is a dell inspiron 1150, 512 MB ram, 2.8 GHz celeron (i know a real beast), about 3 - 5 years old. I know with the age the bios battery could be at risk of goin dead. But since the other hdd runs perfect i feel that is not the problem.

I'm left to believe the problem is this: The first time I took off the ide adapter connector to transfer to the "new" working hdd, i think i might have bent some of the pins on the old bad hdd. I tried straightening them out, which i know you do NOT want to do that since they are so weak they could break right off, but old hdd still does not register.

I just want to figure out for sure why this hdd won't register. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for the help.
Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

You did not mention changing the position of th master/slave/cable select jumper. Did you?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I did not move the jumper. I don't believe the jumper would have gotten moved, nor do i believe that there is a jumper on this hdd. If there is a jumper on this hdd, i am overlooking it.

#4 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

I can't figure out in your original post if you're trying to put ONLY the new or the old drive in the system, or if you're trying to boot up on the new drive and put the old one in as a second hard drive.

If you want to get info off the old drive, you really only have a couple of choices that are low cost:
1. Find the jumper (usually on the end of the drive right next to the ide connector, but not always). There has to be a jumper block on the drive if it is and IDE drive. There should be some kind of picture on the drive cover that shows which jumper is the master, which is the slave, and which the CS. Find a jumper and jump the drive as a slave. Make sure the new drive is jumped as a master.
Hook the master (new) drive to the end of the ide cable and the slave (old) drive to the center connector of the ide cable. If the system still does not see the old drive, it is likely dead to the point of being a nice paper weight.

2. You can also try buying or borrowing from a friend an external hard drive enclosure and hooking your old drive up in it. Most, if not all, external cases require the ide drive installed to be jumped as a master or single drive, just fyi. Hook the external up to your USB and turn it on. See if your system will access it then.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I'm left to believe the problem is this: The first time I took off the ide adapter connector to transfer to the "new" working hdd, i think i might have bent some of the pins on the old bad hdd. I tried straightening them out, which i know you do NOT want to do that since they are so weak they could break right off, but old hdd still does not register.

Compare the pins of your old drive to the ones on your new drive. If one is missing, that is obviously your problem. If they are all still present on the old drive, run your finger along the pins and see if any are loose. If not, then that is not likely to be the issue.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#6 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

The hdd (new and old one) are a Toshiba, pn: MK3021GAS for a dell inspiron 1150 laptop.
I'll explain better what I'm trying to accomplish:
Laptop died, hdd was to blame. Bought new internal hdd, works perfect. Laptop only supports one internal hdd. I keep taking the new working one out, put in old dead hdd, and go back and forth troubleshooting the old dead one. (I have a 4 pcs to work with. I planned on imaging the old dead hdd over the network to a partition one of my other pcs, but can't get the dead hdd to register) The dell laptop sees the new ide hdd, when i take it out, the dead ide hdd does not register.
I hope this is more clear. This is my first post in a forum, ever.

I've looked over the hdd and do not see anywhere for a jumper. I see 4 extra pins (2 pairs), but there is no jumper on them. Its the same on both the new and old hdd.

I rubbed my finger over the pins and the pins do not move, they are still.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

The specifications and pin diagram can be seen on this page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

The specifications and pin diagram can be seen on this page.

I looked at the page, (awesome link), I have no jumper, therefore it is the master by default.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

When you install the old hdd can you see it in the BIOS?

I did a quick look at Newegg and they have a external enclosure that has been marked down from $15.89 to $10.89 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817816003

Edited by dc3, 01 March 2009 - 11:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

When you install the old hdd can you see it in the BIOS?

I'm sorry, i'm semi-pc literate. Of course the hdd will show up in boot order, that is just the boot order.
No, the old dead hdd does not show up in the bios.
Again, if i try to use xp console rec. to repair mbr, xp does not see the the "dead" hdd.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

If you can't see the hdd in the BIOS then it is dead.

#12 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

My apologies. I didn't catch in the first post that this was a laptop. My brain skipped right over that. I assumed we were working on a desktop PC.

You can try putting it in an external case, but if you put it in the laptop and BIOS doesn't see the drive, then it is a dead drive. You have a nice little paper weight now.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:46 PM

My apologies. I didn't catch in the first post that this was a laptop. My brain skipped right over that. I assumed we were working on a desktop PC.

You and I both
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 cisguy

cisguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:11 AM

I was able to get my hands on a ide to usb cable connector. Got nothing. I officially have a paperweight. Thanks for all your help and sorry to have made probably the 400th separate thread on this topic.
Just want to say, I am impressed on the quickness of your responses. Good service! Sorry, GREAT service!

Justin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users