Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

search engine results redirect to ads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swearbyit

swearbyit

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

hello, this is my first post here on bleeping computer.com. i have used the forums in this site in the past for answers to my computer problems, and usually reading old forums and copying suggestions has worked for me in the past. however, i am having a problem that i feel i have done everything i can to fix, and it's still happening.

i am on a windows xp, and i use IE7. this is not my main computer (it's my parents, i came home to fix it) so i am not sure how long this problem has been occuring. when i use search engines like yahoo or google, i see normal results but when i click on them i get redirected to completely unrelated websites. for example, texasroadhouse.com result turned into adultfriendfinder.com. this happened for almost every search result.

then i came to this site and started looking at posts with the same problem. i particularly followed the advice of this recent thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205129/google-redirecting-to-unwanted-sites/ . i ran malwarebytes, sas, atp cleanup, gooredfix, f-secure, everything. pretty much in the same order as that thread. the person who recieved the advice reported the issue was solved. for me, however, even though i had the same symptoms, the problem is still occuring. after following the advice, i am still being redirected. before i got redirected every single search result, but now it is only about 1 out of 5 (so it did some good). i'm not sure what else to do at this point. right now i am running malwarebytes again on full scan. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

- pamela

Edited by swearbyit, 28 February 2009 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rd11

rd11

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hi, swearbyit.

That's my thread you linked to. Did you run the programs in safe mode when rigel instructed? Apparently it is also important to disable your virus scan programs when running some of the AMW programs. I can look back at my notes to see exactly what I did and when the problems started to go away if it turns out you do have the same infection that I had and you think that would be helpful.

rd11

#3 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

hi rd11,

yes i did run the programs in safe mode. i followed the exact instructions on the forum. it definitely helped the problem, but like i said i'm still being redirected about every 1 out of 5 searches. about the disabling of the virus scan programs, for which scan would that be necessary? i have mcaffee running currently, and has been for all the steps i've done. i am not sure if mcaffee was on during safe mode, though. would that make a difference?

Edited by swearbyit, 28 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#4 rd11

rd11

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

McAfee wouldn't have been running in safe mode. My guess would be that you should disable McAfee when running other scans in normal mode, but I was the victim in my thread, not the hero, so I'll leave the advice to the experts.

#5 swearbyit

swearbyit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

i tried rescanning without mcaffee on. and then i tried combo fix. the problem is getting worse now. it's starting to affect every clickable search result again. i don't understand what more i can do, i have run a million different programs and nothing. very frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users