Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This Is Gonna Be Confusing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:00 PM

I am Hoping that Someone will KNOW what a Webtv is because .. this question revolves around the horrid little thing!

I have a Vista Home premium pc (64 bit) but .. my wife has What Is Known as a webtv or as a MSN (microsoft) internet browser.

The browser Is Not a pc.
It can surf the web, (Most sites) and can send and receive email.
It can't upload or download.

When we got this "Web Browser", we wanted to hook it into our DSL.
Since my pc was already connected to a wireless router, we purchased a USB wireless adapter for the wifes Horrid Little Machine.
(both adapter and router are Netgear)

Well, wouldn't you know it .. After many, many trips to the store, for many, many different adapters .. No wireless usb adapter would work even though Microsoft listed the ones that are Supposed to!

The Only way for my pc and the wifes Horrid Little ($80.00) Machine to use dsl was to hook the wireless router to the Horrid Little Machine and use the usb adapter on my $1700.00 pc! LOL

Believe me .. There is No other way to do this.

Here's the question: I want to try OpenDNS on my pc.
Can I change my pc's dns even though I access the internet through a wireless adapter, or .. is my dns dependent on the router that is hooked up to the Horrid Little Machine?

As I have already said .. I Really Hope that Someone .. (on a PC forum no less) will actually know what the Hell I am talking about! 8)

In truth, The Horrid Little Machine suits the little lady just fine and she'd Kill me if she knew what I was saying about it! LOL

Thanks Everyone,

MC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

One more thing: There is No Way to change Any settings on the router using The Horrid Little Machine!

MC

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

Maybe this will help me to get an answer?

Forget the whole webtv part of my question.

Now .. Since I am using a wireless usb adapter on This pc and This pc receives its access from a wireless router in another room, can I change my DNS on This pc without having access problems from the router?

Thanks,
MC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users